Author Topic: Virus Chest, Log Viewer  (Read 5027 times)

oldguy

Virus Chest, Log Viewer
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »
Some weeks ago, I installed avast! antivirus. A couple of days ago, the blue ball had disappeared. I looked in
Add/Remove Programmes and Start/Programmes, but avast wasn't there. There was an installation icon on
the desktop, so I clicked that and as far as I can recall, it went through an uninstall procedure (memory isn't as
good as it used to be).                      
I then installed the latest 4.6. version and as far as I can see, everything is going well, but I would like comments
on two areas.  1. The virus chest has three system files----command.com, last change 23/04/99; kernel32.dll, last
change 23/04/99 and wsock32.dll, last change 28/06/ 04.  2. Log Viewer----the only log with entries is ERROR.
Over a period of twenty minutes, there are three groups of three lines. Each group of lines has an Application
number----- 429429155, 4294492691, 4294621487. The first line of each group is followed by Error in aswChestC:
chestOpenList Error 1722. The second and third lines of each group are followed by aswChestInterface-Program/
error/description:CChestLi...
I am on Broadband, Windows98. I don't have any idea what all this means, but would be grateful for any comments

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus Chest, Log Viewer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »
1. The virus chest has three system files----command.com, last change 23/04/99; kernel32.dll, last change 23/04/99 and wsock32.dll, last change 28/06/ 04.
They're there for backup purposes. Don't worry  8)
If you click on the 'Infected files' icon, does any file appear?  ::)

2. Log Viewer----the only log with entries is ERROR. Over a period of twenty minutes, there are three groups of three lines. Each group of lines has an Application number----- 429429155, 4294492691, 4294621487. The first line of each group is followed by Error in aswChestC: chestOpenList Error 1722. The second and third lines of each group are followed by aswChestInterface-Program/ error/description:CChestLi... I am on Broadband, Windows98. I don't have any idea what all this means, but would be grateful for any comments
I won't worry that much with it, probably the verbose information on the logs...
Anyway, can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
The best things in life are free.

oldguy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 02:14:43 PM »
Thanks Technical, I clicked Infected Files and they all disappeared; they all reappear when I click System Files or All Chest Files.
With the other one, the end result was---Repair finished, the product was successfully updated, but when I go to Log Viewer/Error, the nine lines are still there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 02:38:59 PM »
Thanks Technical, I clicked Infected Files and they all disappeared; they all reappear when I click System Files or All Chest Files.
Ok, what's wrong? This is the behavior, you're seeing different folders: Infected Files, System Files and All Chest Files...
It's ok.

With the other one, the end result was---Repair finished, the product was successfully updated, but when I go to Log Viewer/Error, the nine lines are still there.
Well, they won't be removed if you do not delete them... they belong to the past, past events, now you're ok. Don't worry.
The best things in life are free.