Author Topic: Avast! Claims Certificate Invalid  (Read 2762 times)

Offline KDibble

Avast! Claims Certificate Invalid
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »
Using Avast 7.0.x Business Pro with server management. Over 90 clients are installed on Windows XP and Windows 7 machines. When attempting to access email via Eudora, Thunderbird, and/or Outlook Express, users are receiving Avast! messages claiming some "certificate" is invalid, and mail will not download.

Email clients are variously accessing different external and internal POP email servers. NONE of these servers require OR accept SSL. NONE of the clients are configured to use SSL.

On the Windows 7 clients, Avast version 8.x is shown as having been installed. I do not have Avast! 8. I didn't install or buy Avast! 8. I do not need or wish to "upgrade" to Avast! 8. Yet somehow the server is pushing version 8.x to Windows 7 machines. I am not seeing this with Windows XP machines but they still have the "invalid certificate" error.

I have tried uninstalling the Avast! client and reinstalling to get program 7.0.1455 or 7.0.1490. In some cases this only works temporarily; the problem recurs.

This is a VERY expensive problem; I have already spent several hours uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

Is there a definitive fix for this problem?

Thank you.