Author Topic: Multiple viruses  (Read 11122 times)

Opaline

Multiple viruses
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
Hello everyone.

I have recieved an old computer (Compaq mini) with Windows XP which is really slow. I have downloaded avast and made a scan .....aaand there are loads of threats. I have 6 results for the scan and some of the infected files do come from Windows/system32.

I don't know anything about computers and I have no idea of what I should do. I have a CD to format the hard drive but I don't know if it is a good idea.

I already apology for my ignorance :)

For what it's worth, the threats are HTML:I:frame-inf, Win32:Malware-gen, Win32:Bamital-BC, Win32:Bamital-BA and Win32:Adware-gen.

Thank you for your help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Multiple viruses
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:00:30 PM »
Please attach your logs. (AdwCleaner, MBAM, OTL and aswMBR..!!)
Instructions: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
you may also attach a screenshot of the avast scan result

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:36 PM »
Barmital may need a USB scan.  Do you have a USB available ?

Opaline

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
Hello everyone

So I am back from holiday, thank you for your answers. Here are the logs asked and a print screen of the avast result. The Extra log and the aswMBR log will be posted in a next message.

Opaline

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
The extra and the aswMBR log.

Thank you !

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:42:22 PM »
Hi there, if there is nothing important on this then due to the presence of Barmital I would recommend a reformat...  However, if you wish to attempt a clean

Create an emergency repair USB drive:
Download Dr Web Live USB to your desktop
  • Connect a USB flash drive to the computer. Registering the plugging in event takes no more than 10 seconds.
  • Launch drwebliveusb.exe.
  • The program will detect available USB-devices automatically and prompt you to choose the one you’d like to use as an emergency repair drive. You can format the device if you like (a warning will be displayed before you proceed with formatting). In order to read the License agreement, follow a corresponding link found in the program window (the page containing the license agreement text will be loaded in your default browser).

• To create a bootable USB flash drive, press the Create Dr.Web LiveUSB button.
  • Files will be copied automatically.
  • Once the copying process is completed, press the Exit button to close the application.
  • Reboot the infected computer with the USB in the drive
  • Ensure that the first boot device is USB - If you are not sure about that then see this page for instructions
  • As loading starts, a dialogue window will prompt you to choose between the standard and safe modes.

• Use arrow keys to select  DrWeb-LiveCD (Default)

• Press select objects for scanning

• When the system is loaded, check the disks or folders you want to scan, and click on Start.
  • The programme will now scan for and cure/delete any malware that it finds.  Allow it to do so 

• When it has completed

• Select Open Report and copy to the USB
  • Once completed reboot to normal windows, and attach the report here

Opaline

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:57:31 PM »
Ok thank you for your quick answer. I don't know how to format as it doesn't have any CD player... So I suppose the best option is the cleaning with the USB drive...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
OK lets give it a whirl, this may take several posts to clear though and the Dr Webb scan may take an hour or so

Opaline

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 12:39:10 PM »
I'll post the scan results as soon as I have them but internet is really slow in here so it'll take me more than an hour just to download the program :)

If the format is easier and quicker maybe I should try that.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
A format would be the optimal solution with regards to speed and safety of the computer

Opaline

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
Ok I'll try that then. May I ask if there is any safe website explaining the step-by-step format for a computer without any cd player?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:48:50 PM by Opaline »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
OK does this computer have a recovery partition or will you need an XP on a stick :)

Opaline

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
Haha I don't even know what it is. On another website the told me to do the Winnt32.exe (in the C:/windows file).

So now, it seems that I removed everything and installed a new XP on my computer BUT :) I just can't seem to install internet anymore and the resolution is locked at 640x480 which is pretty awful. So now I don't have any viruses (I hope so) but I can't use my computer anymore :) perfect. the icon for internet connexion is not even there anymore! that looks pretty bad to me.

Anyway was the winnt32 thing a good idea?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:08:39 PM by Opaline »

Opaline

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
Well I'm confused, when I go to the program files, all the previous programs are still there (ex avast) but they don't work.