Author Topic: Resident Protection Disabled  (Read 4474 times)

Bobsterz

Resident Protection Disabled
« on: April 30, 2005, 07:55:31 AM »
Hi, I have home edition so far. It was functioning until I got a "license key" error message (I think it said invalid). I reinstalled the program. It worked again for a few days, then gave the license message again and stopped. I started the program and pasted in the license key. Now I get something I've never seen. It is "Avast Simple User Interface" with resident protection locked on "disabled". Resident protection cannot be reset (I set it, then recheck  it and it is again set at disabled).

UPDATE: Oh, I found the FAQ. What was I thinking, posting first. But this might be of interest if you clicked on this message!

First, I followed the instructions to make sure the icons weren't hidden (right click on the task bar to unhide inactive icons) but I didn't have them hidden (the box was not checked).

Then I followed the instruction to initiate the Ashdisp.exe file in Avast's program files directory. I got the icons, but the A icon was disabled.

So then I followed these directions:

Q: There´s a red circle on avast! a-ball icon in system tray and when I click on it, the error message appears saying "the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error". How to fix this?

A: First, use Windows Update to be sure that the RPC service is up to date. Then restart your computer and check if the problem persists. If it persists, follow these instructions:

1. Right-click the icon MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
   2. In left column unroll SERVICES AND APPLICATIONS.
   3. Click on SERVICES.
   4. In the right column, look at the state of services avast! Antivirus and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
   5. If any of these services isn´t set to start automatically, set it that way (right-click it and select PROPERTIES and the STARTUP TYPE set to AUTOMATIC).
   6. Restart the computer.

This solution works on Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003 only.

Me again: But the service WAS set to start automatically. And Windows updates automatically on this machine, so I'll ignore that instruction unless things get weird. BUT, I right clicked on it's start up field (which was blank) and selected the option to startup. And that got the red out. The icons seem to be acting natural.

Thanks for the very clear FAQ! Seriously. Most computer geniuses and tech writers don't have a clue about good documentation.

Enjoy,

- Bobsterz
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 08:23:13 AM by Bobsterz »

carnifex

Re: Resident Protection Disabled
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:48:19 AM »
ok, but what i must do to start it when:
- i've Windows Update instaled (yesterday i install all updates)
- i've servises set to run automatically
- when i start it manual, avast started, but only for few minutes, and shut down again :'(

This hepend since laset Windows Update :-\
Maybe the last update is crashed ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 05:14:29 PM »
- i've servises set to run automatically
- when i start it manual, avast started, but only for few minutes, and shut down again :'(
Which provider is being disabled? All of them? All protection is shutdown?
Do you have any other antivirus or security program in your computer?
Two services should have manual start, not automatic:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)

The two first of them should be Automatic loaded and the two last Manually loaded.
The best things in life are free.

carnifex

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 12:20:36 AM »
Number of provider is 0 (in the systray icon)

ashServ.exe - automatic (not run)
ashUpdSv.exe - automatic (run, and fine, because i upgrade virus definitions)
ashWebSv.exe - manual (run)
ashMaiSv.exe - manual (run)

I don't have more antivirus only avast.
I've WinXP, installed SP2 and last WindowsUpdate!!

What's wrong?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 12:31:21 AM »
Wierd ! Have you tried a repair of avast.  Got to add/remove programmes select Avast then uninstall you should get a dialogue up which gives you various options (scroll down if necessary_) select repair, you need to be online for this.  If that that should not work as a shot in the dark right click the avast a go to settings - trouble shooting and select use xml storage instead of odbc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 03:07:04 AM »
ashServ.exe - automatic (not run)
Bad  :P
What happens if you manually start them?
Does the computer crash?
After that, if you run the following program at avast folder: ashdisp.exe
Will the icon appear in the system tray?

Try what essexboy posted too (repair and troubleshooting for XML storage method).
The best things in life are free.

FastGame

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 04:45:05 AM »
Hello everyone, there does seem to be a problem with this latest version, as also seen here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18287.0

Its the first problem I've had with avast!, unfortunately I can't seem to get avast! to start so I had to move on to another AV till a solution is found.

Hopefully that happens in this thread, the other thread seemed to have died........