Author Topic: Avast free for Windows 8.1 has less Shields than previous version  (Read 684 times)

Offline xenon2000

• Personal Message (Offline)
I was using the latest Avast before I did the Windows 8.1 Pro update and it completely wiped out Avast. Not installed and not on my drive after 8.1 was done. So I re-downloaded Avast to re-install it.

But now I wondering what is going on as the new download from today, only has 3 shields listed on the left column during a custom install. The previous had 8.

Here are the Sheilds that Avast had with Windows 8: (Avast was set to auto update program and defs)
File
Web
Mail
p2p
im
network
script
behavior

Now with the Avast installer downloaded today to install in Windows 8.1, I only see these Shields listed:
File
Web
Mail

So it appears to be missing 5 of the 8 previous shields. I really don't like that it is missing the Network and Script shields. But I really wish it wasn't missing any of the Shields. So I haven't re-installed Avast yet. Trying to learn what is going on.

Why are their only 3 shields in the latest downloaded Avast installer? Are there incompatibilities with some shields when used with Windows 8.1?

Offline Alikhan

• avast! Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast free for Windows 8.1 has less Shields than previous version
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »
I replied to your previous post.

From the FAQ : http://www.avast.com/faq.php

The number of real-time shields in avast! 2014 is reduced by merging some of them to another. The P2P Shield, IM Shield and Behavior Shield are now a part of the File System Shield, while the Network Shield with Script Shield are a part of the Web Shield.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit • Avast Free Antivirus 9.0.2018 • MBAM Premium (latest) • Google Chrome •

Offline Pondus

• avast! Überevangelist
  • Maybe Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 09:37:06 PM »
you find the answers in the FAQ section.    http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB89

Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1…2.

Offline xenon2000

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the update. I will go ahead and re-install Avast on Windows 8.1 now. Thanks again. I didn't know what to search for, so I didn't even think to check the FAQ for this. Thanks.

Online Tech

• avast! team
  • Certainly Bot
    • Personal Message (Online)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:52:52 AM »
The number of the shields were reduced.
The functionality and the protection are the same (or higher).
The best things in life are free.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now