Author Topic: How do you turn off Tips?  (Read 2913 times)

kd5

How do you turn off Tips?
« on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:53 PM »
I've just upgraded to v9 via uninstalling the old, installing the new.  So far everything seems fine although the new GUI is butt ugly.  One thing I'd like to know about is how to turn off Tips.  I don't give a rats behind about Facebook privacy, and I've already had to look at that stupid tip 3 times.  How do I turn off Tips?  I've already unchecked Community Features.  I don't care about Facebook privacy tips (etc.), I just want a good unobtrusive antivirus.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:12:07 PM by kd5 »

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: How do you turn off Tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »
I've just upgraded to v9 via uninstalling the old, installing the new.  So far everything seems fine although the new GUI is butt ugly.  One thing I'd like to know about is how to turn off Tips.  I don't give a rats behind about Facebook privacy, and I've already had to look at that stupid tip 3 times.  How do I turn off Tips?  I've already unchecked Community Features.  I don't care about Facebook privacy tips (etc.), I just want a good unobtrusive antivirus.  Thanks!

At this moment of time, there's a bug. The facebook privacy tips are actually VPS update notifications. The sounds and notifications are messed up on some systems in this version.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

kd5

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »
Well, I have my update notifications set to 5 seconds, why does this thing stay on my screen for (about) 30 seconds?   Sure I can click the little X in the corner to exit it but I really shouldn't have to.  To reiterate:  I could give a rats behind less about !@#$% Facebook Privacy tips from my antivirus application.  I just want a good AV to keep the garbage off my computers, which Avast has been good about.

I will say that this new version of Avast seems to behave itself pretty well (even with the butt-ugly GUI), although so far I've used the Uninstall Utility to remove it from my computers first before installing v9.  I don't yet know how the internal upgrade will fare, I don't really want to find out.  I'm sure I'll get calls from a few of my customers though, what with all the little bugs I'm seeing in the forum.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
I may have forgotten to mention it but this version (9.0.2006) is not honoring the time limit for notifications. It's a bug.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

kd5

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
Minor bugs but annoying nonetheless and relective of a team in too big of a hurry to get out a defective product.  Sounds similar to the tactics taken by another company...[cough]microsoft[/cough].