Author Topic: Windows XP SP3 Freezes after updating Free Avast  (Read 3102 times)

masks44

Windows XP SP3 Freezes after updating Free Avast
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »
On Monday this week, Oct 21, 2013, logged onto my computer got prompt to update to latest version of Avast Free, accepted the install, accepted prompt to uninstall old first, prompt install complete, restart required.  Since then I cannot get to my desktop, log on and just sits there at a blue screen they only thing I can get to is Task Manager and there is a AvastEMUpdate running can't end the task get access denied, tried to End task on the Avast SVR - access denied.  Finally got onto computer using safe mode with only windows controller, couldn't disable the Avast Service.  Access denied, couldn't stop service access denied.  Control panel add/remove programs didn't populate so couldn't uninstall
checked c:\program files\alsoft\avast... tried to find an uninstall exe file none found.

I did not run any other installs on that day or the next. Only the Avast update

Tried safe mode logging, just freezes
Tried last known good settings - just freezes
Tried windows repair - access denied
I tried to change the msconfig to not load avast - get access denied.

Okay is there an uninstall file anywhere that I can run when in safe mode with windows controllers only to remove avast.   How the heck can I get this off my computer so I can use my computer. 

Is there a patch we can load onto disk and run before loading windows.  Is avast doing anything about this problem, been reading online at several different forums, but no solution found yet.

I can't even run my restore backup.  UURGGGG.  I've used avast for years, but now I want to throw it out the window. 

I use ZoneAlarm free firewall only
Avast anti-virus
Windows firewall
Windows Defender

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Ăśberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Windows XP SP3 Freezes after updating Free Avast
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
Hi follow the steps in this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Starting at this point :

If you cannot  Boot the computer

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

•Download OTLPENet.exe  to your desktop

masks44

Re: Windows XP SP3 Freezes after updating Free Avast
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 03:31:06 AM »
Finally got my PC to boot in safe with networking and was able to get the avast uninstall tool.  Uninstalling it worked, I am now able to get back onto my computer.
Now need to check it for any malware or virus.

Thanks