Author Topic: Avast Removal Tool Deleting Hard Drive At Root  (Read 1549 times)

UserA789

Avast Removal Tool Deleting Hard Drive At Root
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
Okay...

So I have done this three times in the ten years Iv been using Avast.  The problem is with the Avast removal tool; aswclear (the old version) and avastclear (http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe).  The problem exists in the field where you put the path Avast is installed to.

At least on my machine, I restart in SafeMode to run the tool.  For whatever reason, the 'normal' path Avast installs to is NOT selected by default; leaving the path starting at "C:", or the root.

This is the third time Iv erased my drive; even though Windows does what it can to protect most of it.  This has led to my many un-trackable errors and inconsistencies.

Can we do something to this tool so that the normal default Avast install path is pre-selected? Most users who install to a differing directory will be more on top of making sure the path for them is chosen.

The AvastClear tool needs fixing so this doesn't happen to others, who maybe are in a hurry or just trying to get their machine back up.. or at least make a sticky warning others they can delete their HDD at the root directory.

Thanks.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Removal Tool Deleting Hard Drive At Root
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »
What is your avast! installation folder?
Any special configuration or anything else that might prevent the installation path from being read incorrectly from registry?