Author Topic: Avast 2014 May Be Causing a Power Management Issue in Win 8.1  (Read 10713 times)

plsrepli

Avast 2014 May Be Causing a Power Management Issue in Win 8.1
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
Hello all,

Could someone please do a simple test to help me further evaluate my concern (as described in the title)? If you are so inclined, could you please go into your Power Management view and try to restore the default settings for your specific power plan (as shown in the image below)?

On my last two previous clean installs, I always received an error message with Avast 2014 installed; however, on this third clean install attempt, I have installed everything "except" Avast 2014 and now I can restore the defaults successfully 100% of the time. Please understand that I am only asking for this simple test to be performed and the results (pass or fail) to be provided accordingly.

UPDATE: I have confirmed that Avast 2014 is causing this issue and others have found this to be an issue on 8.1 as well. FYI, It doesn't matter whether you have a UEFI or Legacy installation. After three careful "clean installs", I can conclusively say that Avast 2014 is causing this issue. Check your own rigs and good luck.

plsrepli
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:30:41 AM by plsrepli »

Offline HairyScot

Re: Avast 2014 May Be Causing a Power Management Issue in Win 8.1
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
I am having exactly the same problem, and in addition I am experiencing very slow boot ups..

johnnyc1

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
I receive error code also ???
avast 2014,, win 8.1

Offline HairyScot

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
I removed aVast and the problems disappeared. SO definitely aVast that is the culprit.

I have raised a support ticket. KOF-216-69283

plsrepli

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
Just for the record, I was also experiencing intermittent slow boot issues on 8.1 as well. Uninstalling Avast 2014 also fixed my boot issues too!

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »
Same thing happens with Windows 7 (64bit) and avast! 2014 IS.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

stukindaguy

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
Confirmed here also. Same problem, Windows 8.1 64-bit and AIS 2014.9.0.2006.

dannyg

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »

same issue also.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
same, confirm on 8.1 Pro 64bit

Cleanly installed 8.1 on October 17th
Avast 2014 installed cleanly

Same issues experienced

Slow bootup
and Power management issue that was described above

ram1220

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »
 Did Avast not test 2014? Geez numerous issues with Win 8.1, Win 7, and Win XP. What a disaster! I'm glad I stayed with version 8. I have been with Avast since version 4. I don't ever remember the amount of problems with any other version that was released as being reported with 2014. What is going on at Avast?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »
Did Avast not test 2014? Geez numerous issues with Win 8.1, Win 7, and Win XP. What a disaster! I'm glad I stayed with version 8. I have been with Avast since version 4. I don't ever remember the amount of problems with any other version that was released as being reported with 2014. What is going on at Avast?

And you think they can somehow magically know all the problems of 200 million users out of which only a tiny fraction participated in beta test. They tested it perfectly fine, but no one is all knowing. It will get fixed now that it has been found (the issue).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

plsrepli

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »

And you think they can somehow magically know all the problems of 200 million users out of which only a tiny fraction participated in beta test. They tested it perfectly fine, but no one is all knowing. It will get fixed now that it has been found (the issue).

Hey RejZor,

This is more than a tiny little issue and at least one of these issues should have been pickup before release. Now, I'm going to stick my neck way out and say that I believe that everybody using Avast 2014 has the Power Management issue. So, why don't you prove me wrong and report your own test results as "no problems here!" So, please do the test!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »

I believe there are 300 Million users according to Website.
In any case, some seem to think writing code for security programs is straight forward and error free.
There are issues but not all are totally Avast caused. I mean specifically with Win 8.1 which is a NEW OS and still changing.
Having said that, there are folks that are here on the forum with real concerns and issues and I believe that resolving these issues is first on any Avast Agenda.
But again, in the whole scope on things I can't see more than a 100 or so coming here with issues and when there are no issues then folks aren't complaining here or "Congratulating" (very often). ;)

plsrepli

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 12:36:06 AM »

I believe there are 300 Million users according to Website.
In any case, some seem to think writing code for security programs is straight forward and error free.
There are issues but not all are totally Avast caused. I mean specifically with Win 8.1 which is a NEW OS and still changing.
Having said that, there are folks that are here on the forum with real concerns and issues and I believe that resolving these issues is first on any Avast Agenda.
But again, in the whole scope on things I can't see more than a 100 or so coming here with issues and when there are no issues then folks aren't complaining here or "Congratulating" (very often). ;)

Hi scmidthouse,

Yes, I agree that not many post to congratulate but some do (and I have done so in the past); however, I still think the power management thing is a real issue that is affecting everyone on Avast 2014, and since no one has posted an "I'm OK, I don't have that issue" yet to this thread, I'll stick by my guns until someone proves to me wrong. So, have you done the test and what were your results? Maybe you can be the one to prove me wrong here so I'm looking forward to the results of your own testing.

Thank you,

plsrepli
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:37:46 AM by plsrepli »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 01:07:47 AM »
I'm sure you have a concern and can most certainly appreciate that.
I am not experiencing any abnormalities or power drain and usually don't spend time rummaging around in settings if I'm not drawn too.
If there is an issue under the hood then your concerns have hopefully brought attention.
Good luck.