Author Topic: Major problems with XP still present in V.9.0.2007  (Read 7147 times)

Tetsuo

Major problems with XP still present in V.9.0.2007
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Hello,

Just wanted to let the developers know that the major problems between Avast and Win XP are still there in the current build (9.0.2007.172):

- System freezes or takes several minutes to shut down / restart
 - Manually invoked Virus Definitions Updates take forever to complete
 - Randomly (well, almost always) missing tray icon

I'm an experienced user and I've been using Avast since version 4.5, so I tried multiple clean installs (without importing any settings) and all the possible tricks and workarounds  (e.g. disabling "hardware-assisted  virtualization" and/or other stuff) to no avail.

I suspect that the absence of some of the old settings/options - in particular Behavior Shield's "monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" - may contribute to some of the issues, since we are not able to disable them any more.

Obviously, I'm now back to 8.0.1497

Regards

-------------
System Info
Win XP Pro SP3 (Hardware DEP)
Avast! Free AV 8.0.1497
Online Armor Free 7.0.0.1866
*Avast!/OA mutually excluded

bobo1

Re: Major problems with XP still present in V.9.0.2007
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
Gone back to version 8 as unexplained lockup on xp and more cpu usage on version 9.2007 IE 8 FREEZES AS WELL  on my main system.

There is numerous issues with windows xp at the moment. Running tests on my other system with version 9 on a IBM T41 trying to invoke a blue screen of death to send dump files to avast to help them.

FinAnalyst

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
There others reporting similar problem for this build on Windows XP:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=138794.0

Here is a possible workaround you can try, by disabling "DeepScreen" on Avast:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=138794.msg1014465#msg1014465

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »
I am experiencing none of these problems with my WinXP desktop, running AIS.

I used Online Armor Free for a while last year before subscribing to AIS.  Sometimes, Online Armor would block Avast.  To correct the problem, I would delete all rules concerning Avast and put Online Armor in learning mode for a time.  This always fixed the issue.  Perhaps the mutual exclusions aren't working as they should.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Tetsuo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
I am experiencing none of these problems with my WinXP desktop, running AIS.

I used Online Armor Free for a while last year before subscribing to AIS.  Sometimes, Online Armor would block Avast.  To correct the problem, I would delete all rules concerning Avast and put Online Armor in learning mode for a time.  This always fixed the issue.  Perhaps the mutual exclusions aren't working as they should.

The problem is not OA here, exclusions are working fine. Latest build of OA is stable and reliable.

Tetsuo

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:38:28 PM »
By the way, after years of using, recommending, installing and supporting Avast, it would be highly appreciated some official word from the Avast Team. Thanks.

FinAnalyst

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:08:33 PM »
There is another workaround you can try.  Instead of disabling "DeepScreen", you can delay the start-up of Avast.

Here is how:

1.  Enable DeepScreen in Avast --> Settings --> Antivirus and check mark "Enabled DeepScreen".

2.  In the Avast troubleshooting menu, check mark the "Load avast! services only after loading other system services"

Everything functions properly on my Windows XP SP3, if I delayed the Avast start-up, upon Windows boot-up.  Even DeepScreen functions properly.

Tetsuo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:43:48 PM »
There is another workaround you can try.  Instead of disabling "DeepScreen", you can delay the start-up of Avast.

Here is how:

1.  Enable DeepScreen in Avast --> Settings --> Antivirus and check mark "Enabled DeepScreen".

2.  In the Avast troubleshooting menu, check mark the "Load avast! services only after loading other system services"

Everything functions properly on my Windows XP SP3, if I delayed the Avast start-up, upon Windows boot-up.  Even DeepScreen functions properly.

As per my original post, I experienced no issues during the system boot.

As stated elsewhere, I suspect that the absence of some of the old settings/options - in particular Behavior Shield's "monitor the system for unauthorized modifications" option - may have contributed to some of the issues, since we are not able to disable/tweak  them any more.

EDIT: added some info
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:47:44 PM by Tetsuo »

iroc9555

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »
Hi Tetsuo.

I know it is of no confort to you but as Gopher John, I am not experiencing any of your issues in my XP system.

Yes, at first I suffered long shut downs due to ctfmon.exe, but not anymore. Also the VPS downloads or trying to evoke them through avast! UI were erratics, but that it is also a thing of the past. The same with avast! Security On Line pluggin in IE where IE was realy slow or it would crash. All these issues were fixed through stream updates, VPS, or the new 2007 version.

You could generate a Support Package and send it to avast!. See if they can figure out what is going on with your avast!.

FinAnalyst

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »

As per my original post, I experienced no issues during the system boot.

To clarify, I've experienced two out of the three issues mentioned in your original post, namely:

- System freezes or takes several minutes to shut down / restart
- Randomly (well, almost always) missing tray icon

Those two issues have been resolved, at least on my system, when I delayed Avast start-up.

Offline irongod

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:20:43 AM »
I had to revert back to v8 as well: system hangs on many applications almost everytime (especially calling with Skype calls, opening IE and accessing to files in WMP)... the only way out was an hard reset!  >:(  On the other hand, no problems during boot!

I feared that was a firewall issues at the beginning, since it was new and on anothe XP SP3 machine I had the free version and everything used to work just fine! ... but after trying:

- deactivate firewall shield
- deactivate all the shields
- uninstalling the firewall component
- uninstalling AIS v9 for Avast Free v9

and experiencing everytime the same problems, I started to believe that something in the "core services" of Avast v9 is not really robust and creates problems on certain machines!

I could try a further troubleshooting removing other components, but I use the PC for work and I cannot really waste too much time to remove and install applications all day long! Also Avast Support does not seem to have clear clue of the causes of these freezes... I've seen hundreds of report of different issues under XP, anybody had my same symptoms?
You take the tarot cards and throw them to the wind!

Tetsuo

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
Just noticed a new program update.

Again, the list of major fixes doesn't mention Win XP in any way: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=139606.0

Good.

bobo1

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
Yep still the same issues with IE8 CRASHING EVEN ON THE NEW PROGRAM UPDATE??. Keep getting while browsing IE EXPLORER HAS TO CLOSE SORRY FOR THE INCOVENIEANCE AND WILL CLOSE BLAH BLAH BLAH DIALOG BOX. Not really bothered about this as if you use this new version just dump IE8 and use FIREFOX INSTEAD!!! On my test rig computer at the moment. Def a problem with IE8 ON XP SYSTEMS WITH VERSION AVAST 9.2008. AVAST VERSION 8, DOES NOT CAUSE THIS ISSUE IN XP SP3 WITH IE8 AND IS STABLE!

Def something to do with the avast security addons in IE8 turn them off and the crashing of IE8 will stop
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:01:57 PM by bobo1 »

FinAnalyst

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
The latest Avast build 9.0.2008 is functioning properly on my Windows XP SP3, for now.  This includes with DeepScreen enabled, and Avast loading at start-up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
The latest Avast build 9.0.2008 is functioning properly on my Windows XP SP3, for now.  This includes with DeepScreen enabled, and Avast loading at start-up.
Thanks for reporting back :)
The best things in life are free.