Author Topic: "Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19" AddOn for Firefox & Chrome???  (Read 1548 times)

Offline kc9718

• Personal Message (Offline)
"Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19" AddOn for Firefox & Chrome???
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
Hello,

Just ran the Avast! Browser Cleanup Tool for the first time. It reported an add on as being in both Firefox Version 25 AND in Google Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101m. The add on is listed as "Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19". I am extremely careful & diligent when it comes to 'adding' anything, and 'misspellings' in add on names, etc. go straight in to the trash can!! I cannot imagine having downloaded and installed this "Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19". Anyway, BCT reported it as being installed. I closed BCT without performing any action at all, and went to Firefox & Chrome, one at a time, to look for this add on. I could not locate this add on in either browser! I then ran BCT again, this time, I DISABLED the add on, and closed BCT again, and rechecked each browser. *NOW* both browsers SHOW the "Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19" add on as being present, and disabled. Curious, I did a search on EVERY MAJOR SEARCH ENGINE, on the Firefox AddOn site, AND the Google Chrome AddOn site... nothing as "Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19" could be found, *ANYWHERE*! I then came here to the Avast! Forums to search for it as well, again, nothing found.
Since I cannot 'identify' it, let alone validate it, I used BCT to completely REMOVE it from both browsers. It apparently worked fine, as I an find NO reference to it anywhere on my computer now. Now, I am concerned as to WHAT "Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19" actually IS, and WHERE did it come from?? I'm worried, in that it can't be identified by the search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.)... not even one single hit.
I am including a screen shot of Google Chrome Extensions, with the add on highlighted & the only info it displayed - "permissions". ANY HELP identifying the add on and its SOURCE would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:14:48 PM by kc9718 »

Offline Tomahawk

• avast! team
  • Development Team
    • Personal Message (Offline)
Re: "Suirf! and ekEEEp 2.19" AddOn for Firefox & Chrome???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
Hi!

Your extension comes from the 'Surf and Keep' familiy.

By adding serveral tokens the extension name mutates to something like:
Surofe. and. KeEpp
ssURf! ANed keeapi
etc.

This Toolbar should be removed by the Avast Browser Cleanup Tool.

This toolbar family seem to be new and removing should be possible, now.

Please stay in touch with us, if removing fails.

Regards,
Dev-Team

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now