Author Topic: FTP Filezilla Blocking  (Read 8372 times)

bevhoward

FTP Filezilla Blocking
« on: November 28, 2013, 05:15:57 AM »
Running current version (2014.9.0.2007) on windows 8

I can connect ftp to web site for updates, but cannot connect to ip addresses using port#8888

If I turn off avast's "webshield" I can connect and transfer files.

I am unable to find any way within avast settings to allow these outbound ftp connections. 

fwiw, These ftp connections are used for file transfers between android devices and the pc.

The avast documentation I did find addresses the issue and shows an "allowed ports" entry, but, I am unable to find it anywhere within this version's interface.

Thanks in advance for any hints on where to achieve this goal,
Beverly Howard

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: FTP Filezilla Blocking
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 06:12:33 AM »
If you are using the Avast Internet Security product, go to Settings > Active Protection > Firewall > Packet Rules and click on ADD.  Type the settings you want in the highlighted box / line at the bottom of the list.  Make sure the new rule has a check mark to the left (this means it is active) and click OK(s) back to the main screen.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
If you are using avast! Free then this may help you . . .

From the avast! GUI go to "Settings" -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Redirect Settings" -> "Web".  In the list of "HTTP port(s)" remove the entry for "8888".  Close all avast! windows and try connecting again with Filezilla.

BTW, you should probably update to the latest version of avast! (2014.9.0.2008).
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

bevhoward

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
"Settings" -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Redirect Settings" -> "Web".  In the list of "HTTP port(s)" remove the entry for "8888".  Close all avast! windows and try connecting again with Filezilla.

Thanks... that did it... (fwiw, it wasn't necessary to close the windows)

I would have never found that location.

BTW, you should probably update to the latest version of avast! (2014.9.0.2008).

Thanks... will do.  I have avast set to notify me of updates, but, for some reason, it did not... or did so in a way that it was not recognizable as an update notice.

Beverly Howard

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
Glad it worked well for you.  Happy to help!!
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)