Author Topic: Safe Price  (Read 66793 times)

COMPUTIAC

Safe Price
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
How do I disable this PIA plugin which was slammed in with no warning ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Safe Price
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »
The option was there to uncheck or leave as required in the avast! online security (AOS) plug-in.

Click on the AOS icon in your browser (top right area in firefox), that opens the AOS interface, click the SETTINGS bottom right of the window. For me the SafePrice is unchecked, what does yours have ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

COMPUTIAC

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
Thank's. It was checked but greyed out. Clicking on it again cleared the check mark.
Its OK now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Djfe

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
It's not userfriendly to hide this function so deep!
The settings button of the "toolbar" that is displayed on amazon only shows disable amazon/all for 24 hours but not disable completely

EDIT: the settings button doesn't work anymore, at least for me (FF 27.0.1)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:32:35 PM by Djfe »

Offline Grizzly_UK

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »
The settings button of the "toolbar" that is displayed on amazon only shows disable amazon/all for 24 hours but not disable completely

Unfortunately the avast! online security (AOS) plug-in has a number of problems, particularly with Firefox 27. I've never enabled the "Safe Price" tool, in fact I didn't even know about it but after avast updated on Feb 20th I was suddenly getting that "Safe Price" thing popping up when visiting Amazon! As I'm a Firefox user I can't even access the AOS settings to disable the damn thing! So far I haven't seen an actual solution to this problem, the only suggestions I've seen is either disable or uninstall the AOS plug-in!

starrigger

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »
The damn thing isn't even accurate!  I'm a writer, and I just clicked on one of my own book titles in the BN store to check something in the listing.  Safe-price popped up with an offer to steer me away from this store (BN Nook store) to another (Kobo store) with a lower price.  One problem: It took me to someone else's book with a different title, with one word in common with my own book's title.  Good way to cost me sales!

Even before this, I found the thing to be annoying and intrusive.  And I agree, it should be simpler to turn it off altogether. 

svetlanamonsoon

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »

Same here - the settings button no longer works for me, either. Which means, as far as I can tell,  I have no way to configure my browser/internet settings where avast is concerned. I'm also using FF 27.0.1. This is completely unacceptable. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:10:09 PM »

Same here - the settings button no longer works for me, either. Which means, as far as I can tell,  I have no way to configure my browser/internet settings where avast is concerned. I'm also using FF 27.0.1. This is completely unacceptable. 
Or you could ask Firefox to cease releasing updates before they let other software manufacturers have a look to see how they affect their programmes.  This must be a two way street

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:20:04 PM »
Or disable the AOS add-on completely in each of your browsers.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

svetlanamonsoon

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »

Or you could ask Firefox to cease releasing updates before they let other software manufacturers have a look to see how they affect their programmes.  This must be a two way street

Suuuuuuuure. Firefox is the problem. Firefox isn't the program/software that was most recently updated in this equation, but sure. I'll contact Mozilla and let them know that my avast (pro!) is largely unusable since I let it (avast) update last week. I'm certain that will get me exactly what I need. "Dear Firefox: this antivirus service, which I pay for, no longer works since I updated it a few days ago. You are not connected to this product or company in any way, but could you magically fix it? Perhaps by either going back in time or becoming psychic from here on out? Thanks!"

I understand that your role is to be fanatically supportive of the company (uberevangelist?!), but 1) this makes no sense and 2) you're not helping. At all. And I'm sure no one here appreciates being condescended to. We have legitimate complaints that need helpful, functional responses, not rudeness and sub-optimal suggestions.

I pay for this. It should work. It doesn't. That is not okay. It is also not okay that my only option is to disable online security altogether.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:34:09 PM by svetlanamonsoon »

Offline Grizzly_UK

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

Really? Are you trying to say the problem is with Firefox itself? How strange then that I only started seeing the Safe Price banner appear after avast! Online Security was updated on 20 February 2014. That was seven days AFTER FireFox 27.0.1 was first offered to release channel users on February 13, 2014. That means avast had around 5-6 days to work on testing that particular update for AOS before they released it! I know that's a somewhat simplified viewpoint, but if you're really going to try and blame other software as being the cause of these particular errors you might want to verify such things as release dates so as to avoid any embarrassment!  ::)

AdrianH

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »

Really? Are you trying to say the problem is with Firefox itself? How strange then that I only started seeing the Safe Price banner appear after avast! Online Security was updated on 20 February 2014. That was seven days AFTER FireFox 27.0.1 was first offered to release channel users on February 13, 2014. That means avast had around 5-6 days to work on testing that particular update for AOS before they released it! I know that's a somewhat simplified viewpoint, but if you're really going to try and blame other software as being the cause of these particular errors you might want to verify such things as release dates so as to avoid any embarrassment!  ::)

I think you embarrassed yourself ........ it is absolutely down to Firefox and their continual releases. They break plugins / extensions and functionality for many major software programs , as well as their own script kiddies developers efforts.

Time after time you open that browser to find it updated and the plugins/extensions no longer compatible .

I threw Firefox out a long time ago , too much bloat, too many bugs and changes.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 12:20:27 PM »
The question is how often does FF update ?  Avast 2014 was released when FF24 or 25 was the latest, since then there have been two or three further iterations of FF whereas Avast has remaine at .2013

MightyDrake

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »
How often Firefox updates is one of those balancing acts.  There is no Right Answer.  That's why I like that there are multiple popular browsers.  Several different experiments running all the time.

So, I don't think "blaming" Firefox is very useful.  What would have been more useful is if someone from Avast could have come on and given us an estimated time to address this issue.  It strikes me that not being able to get at the settings should be treated as a Pretty Big Deal.

On top of all that, I don't remember agreeing to have this thing nag at me in the first place.  I do NOT want my anti-virus team to be spending any time on marketing functions like price search.  That is flirting uncomfortably close to the line of allowing marketing to dictate that "This popup advertising is okay, because they're paying us to allow it."

So, not only do I want to turn it off.  I want it excised from the product completely.  If I want price search then I'll install a plugin dedicated to that.