Author Topic: Remote Desktop over VPN Now Fails after update to Avast Internet Security 2014  (Read 3889 times)

fatbear

I allowed the update of Avast Internet Security to update to the 2014 version.  Now, I can no longer connect via VPN to my company when I want to telecommute from home.  Previously, I was able to connect via VPN.

I can turn off the firewall and be able to connect via VPN.  The problem is clearly with the updated Avast 2014 software.

The VPN software my company (with more than 12,000 employees) uses is Juniper Networks Secure Application VPN.  On my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 computer's control panel that shows installed programs I see:
  • Juniper Networks Secure Application Manager
  • Juniper Networks, Inc. Setup Client
  • Juniper Networks, Inc. Setup Client 64-bit Activex Control
Doing an ipconfig/all, I see:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

when I've established created the VPN tunnel.  It uses IPv6 addresses (randomized for higher security), so identifying a specific IP address range isn't predictable.  After establishing the VPN tunnel, when I try to remote desktop to my computer at work, it just times out, eventually giving me the dialog:

Code: [Select]
Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one  of these reasons:

1) Remote access to the server is not enabled
2) The remote computer is turned off
3) The remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.

Of course, I know the problem is Avast Internet Security 2014 because when I disable its Firewall, I am able to remote desktop over VPN.  I have tried this on a total of 3 computers (all running Windows 7 Ultimate x64) with the same results.

When I called Avast Support, they wanted $119.00 to help.  Unacceptable as the product was working before the so-called update and now the firewall has to be entirely disabled for me to be able to remote desktop over a VPN tunnel.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get this to work, short of paying extortion money to Avast?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:30:41 PM by fatbear »

Offline voreez823

What was your fix, I'm getting the same extortion process you defined.