Author Topic: Thunderbird hangs in Win 8.1 during SAVE (to Draft folder)  (Read 3244 times)

Fred S

Thunderbird hangs in Win 8.1 during SAVE (to Draft folder)
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:18:50 AM »
I'm using the latest versions of Thunderbird, Avast, and Windows 8.1

When I compose or reply to an email, AND the email contains graphics (total file size ~4MB), using SAVE (to Draft folder) in Thunderbird hangs for about 90 seconds, then saves the document in the Drafts folder. After talking with folks in the TB newsgroup, they advise that Avast is likely the problem.

I restarted Win 8.1 in SAFE MODE (Avast disabled) and using Save works PROPERLY (file is saved in Draft in 2 seconds flat). I did this over ten times and it works as it should but when back in Normal Windows mode, (with Avast enabled) the SAVE is DELAYED  (looks like a hang).

Obviously Avast is checking that file but it should not take so long. On my Windows 7 laptop, the same procedure, using SAVE, the procedure completes within 2 seconds just like in Safe Mode in Win 8.1. The latest version of Avast is also on my laptop, and so is Thunderbird. Avast on Win 8.1 appears to be causing the hang or delayed SAVE to the Draft folder while in Win 7, the Save to the Drafts folder is normal.

Again, IF I disable Avast either by using the option to Permanently disable Avast OR just restart in Safe Mode with Win 8.1, the Save to the Draft folder is NORMAL BUT NOT so when Windows 8.1 is running as usual.

I was advised to try and use the EXCLUDE feature in Avast for Thunderbird; I entered the path for Thunderbird, and for the TB Profile - still hangs/delays during the SAVE.

Any ideas? Thanks, in advance, Fred

REDACTED

Re: Thunderbird hangs in Win 8.1 during SAVE (to Draft folder)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:34 AM »
I've found that Thunderbird hangs frequently when doing a save, but also sometimes when attaching files, typing messages, and when hitting Send, towards the end of the send.

I have excluded my mail/profiles folder from being by the active scan (shield).

No difference. Did you figure out anything more with this? I see you received no replies. I guess there isn't a huge population of Thunderbird and Avast users on 8.1?

I have reported a bug on Bugzilla, but no real action on it either.

Hang is for at least 30 seconds or longer. Frustrating. Would love to see this getting resolved.