Author Topic: ashmaisv.exe seemingly doubles internet traffic  (Read 8217 times)

eejee

ashmaisv.exe seemingly doubles internet traffic
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:02:27 PM »
A proces called ashmaisv.exe is checking just about everything that comes in. That's fine, but as ashmaisv is also listed as a seperate process in the traffic listings of both Sygate and Netlimiter, the internet traffic seems to be doubled because the same traffic is mentioned under ashmaisv and the actually downloading program, for instance Newsbin. Is there a way around this?

Also: Sygate calls ashmaisv an email scanner service. If so, why then is it checking all internet traffic? And is there a way to loose the ashmaisv-icon in the system tray?

I'm using the Avast Free Version. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Eejee

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ashmaisv.exe seemingly doubles internet traffic
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:34:36 AM »
ashMailSv.exe should only be checking your email traffic, period.

The ashMaiSv icon is only there for the time that it is scanning the mail ports.

ashWebSv.exe the Web Shield should be monitoring/scanning http traffic on port 80.

Let me make a SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess), are you using a P2P program that uses the email ports (110, etc.) to download files?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:53:51 AM »
eejee, do you use any spam killer?
After answering David's questions you could see 'Settings' in my signature and browse for the [MailScanner] section of avast4.ini file. There you can add
IgnoreProcess=
value (if any) to avoid what could be double scanning.
The best things in life are free.

eejee

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 09:46:27 AM »
ashMailSv.exe should only be checking your email traffic, period.

The ashMaiSv icon is only there for the time that it is scanning the mail ports.

ashWebSv.exe the Web Shield should be monitoring/scanning http traffic on port 80.

Let me make a SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess), are you using a P2P program that uses the email ports (110, etc.) to download files?

Things are getting clearer. Only my newsreaders (MesNews for txt and Newsbin Pro for binaries) produce the icon. They both use port 119, with is the standard port for usenet.  With MesNews, the icon remains even if MesNews itself does not produce internet traffic. So why does ashMailSv check the standard usenet port and is there a way to disable this?

U do use eMule every now and then, but testing it now doen't bring forward the ashMailSv icon.

Update (15 minutes later): your remarks nevertheless brought the solution: disabling the NNTP-scan. Sometimes things can be so simple ... I'm just not used to a scanner with separate settings for usenet. Thanks for showing the direction!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:54:38 AM by eejee »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:34:33 AM »
Thats because it goes through localhost and your traffic monitoring program logs that too.
If possible,add 127.0.0.1 to exclusion list of your traffic monitoring program.
That will be a realistic traffic number.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 11:53:14 AM »
Thats because it goes through localhost and your traffic monitoring program logs that too.

I second to this. Counting localhost traffic is not very relevant. Unfortunately in Netlimiter this is not possible - it incorrectly identifies the traffic from Mail Client to ashMaiSv.exe as outgoing to the internet. The only option is to exclude the ashMaisv.exe process from the statistics (if this is available at all.)

Lukas

eejee

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 12:09:19 PM »

I second to this. Counting localhost traffic is not very relevant. Unfortunately in Netlimiter this is not possible - it incorrectly identifies the traffic from Mail Client to ashMaiSv.exe as outgoing to the internet. The only option is to exclude the ashMaisv.exe process from the statistics (if this is available at all.)

Lukas

Also Sygate identifies ashmaisv.exe as an internet process. And it's neither in Netlimiter nor in Sygate possible to exclude it.  So disabling the NNTP-scan in Avast seems the obvious thing to to. I was already used to scanning downloaded items on the harddisk itself, so I see no harm in this solution.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 02:15:20 PM »

Also Sygate identifies ashmaisv.exe as an internet process. And it's neither in Netlimiter nor in Sygate possible to exclude it.  So disabling the NNTP-scan in Avast seems the obvious thing to to. I was already used to scanning downloaded items on the harddisk itself, so I see no harm in this solution.

ashMaiSv.exe is internet process. The MailClient is not - this is the guy who is connecting only to localhost (ashMaiSv's port 12119, 12110, 12025)