Author Topic: A virus is Chrome's cache and password protected files unable to be scanned.  (Read 2586 times)

Equinox

Hi, I currently have the free version of Avast! set to run a quick scan once a day at a time that I am always usually awake at, 5 pm. Then on every second day I have it also run a fullscan presumably just after that quick scan has finished.

The issue I have is this was found;

The 'Last changed' time is also another issue, as I wasn't online at that time - I woke up an hour after that (does that mean it was doing its thing even while the computer was off?)

I did try Googling the name that Avast! gives it, f_003d99 with no luck (would using Ccleaner to clear Google's cache be a good idea? - since it seems to be from Chrome's cache).

The only other slight problem I have is Avast cannot scan Dell Datasafe as it's apparently password protected. Whenever I try going into the program it gives me an error so I can't do anything about Avast! not being able to scan it. There seems to be the same thing with something to do with Flashplayer not being able to be scanned too. I did do a Google search (and forum) to try and solve this, but the answers weren't too definite - ie that it doesn't mean there's a virus there and that it just can't be scanned by Avast due to the password (not that I've ever even used the program  ???).

I'm sorry if I'm making a big thing out of nothing, I try my best to keep save via the automated scans, Chrome extensions (Ad Blocker/Ad Blocker plus, Ghostery, HTTPS everywhere, etc) and I for some reason had the Avast extension off, it's back now.

tl;dr; could someone please tell me if it's okay if I 'delete' the virus from the chest, and if it's okay that Avast! cannot get into the files with the password protection on (Dell Datasafe and the apparent Flashplayer one too).
ALso would using CCleaner to remove the cache files (where it seems the 'virus' originated from) be a good idea? (I do not wish to remove the cookies and history from Chrome, so I'm wary if that's going to have to be done too)

Any replies are welcomed, thank you all in advance!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:38:13 AM by Equinox »

Equinox

If anything that I've said above is wrong/misleading I do apologise in advance.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Hi, I currently have the free version of Avast! set to run a quick scan once a day at a time that I am always usually awake at, 5 pm. Then on every second day I have it also run a fullscan presumably just after that quick scan has finished.
you have a antivirus with real time protection...meaning evry file that moves when computer is on is checked in real time
so this frequent scanning is not necessary....if you are paranoid i recomend activating screensaver scan, then you dont have to think about doing sheduled scan at all

The only other slight problem I have is Avast cannot scan Dell Datasafe as it's apparently password protected. Whenever I try going into the program it gives me an error so I can't do anything about Avast! not being able to scan it. There seems to be the same thing with something to do with Flashplayer not being able to be scanned too. I did do a Google search (and forum) to try and solve this, but the answers weren't too definite - ie that it doesn't mean there's a virus there and that it just can't be scanned by Avast due to the password (not that I've ever even used the program  ???).
files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected
password protected file will be scanned by real time protection when the program that use those files access them
files that can not be scanned is this forums most frequently asked question, so plenty info if you forum search
also see here  https://blog.avast.com/2014/02/28/how-do-i-handle-files-that-avast-cant-scan/

tl;dr; could someone please tell me if it's okay if I 'delete' the virus from the chest,
Clean, Quarantine, or Delete? http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm

avast! 2014: Using the Virus Chest  http://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB21#artTitle