Author Topic: Software Updater: Flash Player ActiveX 'Preparing', not 'Updating  (Read 10093 times)

conky1

when updating my software, flashplayer activex seems to be stuck 'preparing'. 

i've uninstalled and reinstalled flashplayer plugin, and plugin is now up to date, but flashplayer ACTIVEX seems stuck.  hourglass turns but it wont update.

any info would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:28:21 PM by conky1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Software Updater: Flash Player ActiveX 'Preparing', not 'Updating
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
Do you happen to have IE open when trying to update activeX flash player ?

Try doing the activeX flash player update outside of the software updater.
Download the activeX flash player version here - https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

conky1

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
thanks for your help, david.

i do not have IE open.

also, i used Download EXE Installer for windows i.e., but did not help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:29 AM »
You're welcome.

Is it the same thing when running the Download EXE Installer (seems stuck) ?

Are you saving the Download EXE Installer to your hard disk before running it or downloading and running in one action ?

I don't know if it would make any difference but you could try the Download MSI Installer option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

conky1

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 05:08:17 AM »
Download MSI Installer > download (to desktop) > install > run. 

error 1822.  there is a problem with this windows installer package.  a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  contact your support personnel or package vendor.  action newcustomaction1, location: c:\users\...\installplugin_13_0_0_206.3xe, command: -install -msi

also got error 1722 with same message.

thanks for sticking with me. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
I tried a search on error 1722, it returns a lot of hits. Unfortunately that error doesn't just point to one piece of software.

Adjusting the search string to installation error 1822 brings up many hits but may be better/more related. Some of those mention installing (or trying) a 32bit version on a 64bit system, again this isn't very definitive.

Changed the search string again to flash player installer error 1722 and that may well have returned more related hits. This one is from the Adobe forum, Error 1722 when installing Adobe Flash Player 10.1 (Active X MSI).

Whilst this is for a different Adobe flash player it may well be related as the AV (McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise) that they had apparently blocked the installation. This would seem a possibility as it seems that AV had setting to protect changes to the browser. That said I haven't had any issues installing flash player updates on my systems with avast enabled.

Have you made any changed to the avast default settings ?

conky1

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 08:33:40 PM »
thanks for your help.
no, i've made no changes.
i've uninstalled flashplayer plugin and reinstalled, but cant find flashplayer activex in my control panel to do same.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
There should definitely be an entry for the activeX flash player in the Control Panel > Programs and Features - this points to a corrupt installation and that is also what may be causing update installation.

Try this link to remove it without using Control Panel - http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html - Step one of that gives a link to download a flash player uninstaller and outlines the process.

Hopefully that will resolve it, I found this via a search http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=remove+activeX+flash+player, so there are possibly other options if this didn't resolve it.

conky1

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
thanks so much for your help, david. 
tried your fix, flashplayer plugin now gone from avast software updater, but flashplayer activex still 'preparing'.

went to site to check 'status'.
Sorry, Flash Player is either not installed or not enabled.
Please go to step 2.

Get Adobe Flash player
YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version    
Not installed
Your browser name    
Firefox
Your Operating System (OS)    
Windows (Windows 7)

i see adobe 'air' on the software updater.  could it be related to that?
any other suggestions?  it seems like it's just 'stuck' (i.e. corrupted).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
I don't use adobe air (which is meant for developers of flash programs/functions), presumably you aren't developing flash modules (?), which would indicate that you don't really need it.

That said I don't think that would have any impact, but you could start by uninstalling it, rebooting and try to install the adobe activeX flash player again.

You could also try that search link that I gave and see if there is anything else. I stopped after finding something that I thought would resolve the problem.

conky1

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »
thanks, david. 
nothing worked and the links are all for uninstalling (which i already did).

it turns out i need the adobe air for amazon music. 
i've posted on the adobe forum.  hopefully they'll have a way to uninstall. 

i appreciate your help. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »
They might well be for uninstalling, but they should be doing it outside of the uninstall within the program or programs and features, so that they should be able to remove corrupt installations which this appears to be. Much like the avast uninstall utility should you be unable to uninstall avast normally.

So that is the style of uninstaller utility for flash player - here is another link to try for the uninstaller - http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html. This led me back to my original link in my Reply #7 above and attached image.

I'm at a loss if the official adobe flash player uninstall http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe doesn't work.