Author Topic: Windows Update and Windows Online Help disabled after using Slim Drivers  (Read 6732 times)

euthenia

After searching in vain for an updated driver for my old HP printer, and after reading glowing reviews from both the editors and users of the program (it was ranked #4 in the category of Operating Systems & Updates), I installed a driver utility, Slim Drivers, from Download.com. I didn't use the utility immediately after installing it, but I used it a few days later to update a printer driver. A few days after that, when attempting to run Windows Update, it would not connect to Microsoft to perform the downloads. I got the following error message: Code 80072F78 Microsoft Update encountered an unknown error. I tried to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and received this warning: You're not connected to online Help, which shows you our latest content. Check your Internet connection, and then try to connect to online Help again. If you still see this message, the online Help service might be temporarily unavailable. My internet connection was up and functioning properly, and my Windows Help settings were configured to allow online help, so I tried restarting my laptop, and then my router. I also ran Ccleaner. When that didn't help, I ran Avast!, then Malwarebytes Anti-malware - neither found any threats. Running Avast! in Safe Mode, with and without networking, also came up nil.

I spent the next three days trying to apply a variety of fixes, both automated and manual, from the Microsoft Support site. These included running commands such as sfc /scannow and Chkdsk. None found any errors. Also tried the fix outlined on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259. But the problem persists. When running the Windows Update Diagnostics tool (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336, I get the following errors:
  • Check for missing or corrupt files -- Detected
    Problems installing recent updates -- Not fixed
    Windows Update error 0x8007003 -- Not fixed
    Service registration is missing or corrupt -- Not fixed

During the course of those three days, I also noticed that my computer was slow to respond, and graphic animations, such as moving the cursor and dragging items, would stutter across the screen. My Windows Experience Index has plummeted from a base 5 to a base 1. Obviously, I didn't make the connection between the two events (the driver update and the disabled Windows Update) right away. But I got uneasy when I realized Slim Drivers had installed itself on the taskbar (as a hidden icon) and started up each time I rebooted, begging me to run another scan. But when I began to suspect it might be the culprit, I restored the registry to the backup made just prior to installing the driver. When that didn't work, I restored to a version from the day before I downloaded the utility. Still did not correct the problems. I wonder if it  may have installed all driver updates found during the initial scan (more than 2 dozen), even though I purposely selected only the print driver? I uninstalled Slim Drivers and  began to search online for anything else that might cause Windows Update to fail, and I came across Winsock LSPs, essential to Windows Update, which are apparently very susceptible to exploitation by spyware and malware programs and used to intercept or inhibit proper internet communications - which sounds exactly like my issue. In three years of ownership, I have never encountered anything like this before. Is it possible that Slim Drivers infected my system with some LSP-attaching malware? What else could it possibly be?

I was going to attempt a system restore, or reinstall, but don't want to gamble on the chance that whatever malware/spyware/virus is lurking about has deeply rooted itself in the bowels of my system.

Thanks in advance! I know you all are volunteers and appreciate the donation of your time!

I have an Asus laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Firefox version 29.0.1, and Avast! Free Antivirus version 2014.9.0.2018.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:13:34 PM by euthenia »

euthenia

Re: Windows Update and Windows Online Help disabled
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »
Well, I decided to open the registry and delete all obvious instances of Slimware (creators of Slim Drivers). After doing so, I checked Windows Update and it was functioning again, as was the Online Help option under 'Help and Support'. Elated, I decided to check for updates, then initiated the download and install. It took a very long time, but it completed the updates without any errors. I then restarted, to finalize the installations, and once I was logged back on to my laptop, both Windows Update and Online Help were once again disabled. I definitely think that Slim Drivers is the culprit, but am at a loss as to how to proceed from here. I have performed some of the customary scans and attached the logs.

euthenia

Re: Windows Update and Windows Online Help disabled
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
While I am waiting for assistance, I have a question. While aswMBR was running yesterday, I noticed as it scanned through hidden files such as ProgramData and Users/AppData that there were a number of files relating to programs that had been uninstalled/deleted. I knew that the registry could be littered with the remnants of removed programs and applications, but why would there be hidden folders full of data that persist after the target program is long gone? Is there any way to safely remove them?

euthenia

General Timeline (please note that it is my general habit to leave my laptop always running):
4/11 - downloaded and installed SlimDrivers (did not run it)
4/12-4/25 - after download but prior to use, successfully updated windows (note that ALL prior updates in the Windows Update log, as far back as the history goes, have been successful)
4/29 - ran SlimDrivers, backed up the registry, then selected one driver to be installed (did not restart)
5/4-5/9 - All attempts to use Windows Update fail; Windows Online Help is disabled, making use of the troubleshooter impossible; restoring to previous registry backups had no effect; restarted laptop, then router, also ran Ccleaner, Avast!, then Malwarebytes Anti-malware - none found any threats; running Avast! in Safe Mode, with and without networking also found nothing
5/9 - after uninstalling SlimDrivers, running Ccleaner and rebooting, Windows Update connects and successfully performs updates; rebooted system to complete
5/14-5-17 - computer graphics buggy and stuttering; rebooted (note the laptop had been running continuously since 5/9), attempts to install new updates with Windows Update fail; no connection to Windows Online Help (otherwise, all other internet and network components functioning normally); spent the major part of these 3-4 days trying to apply various fixes through support.microsoft.com, without success
5/17 - searched registry for instances of SlimWare, and deleted (did not reboot); attempt to use Windows Update was successful, and Windows Online Help was active; restarted laptop to finish update installations and once again, Windows Update and Online Help cannot connect
5/18 - other than having an open browser window (FF) so that I can keep an eye on the Avast! forums, I am restricting further use of my laptop until I receive assistance

Also, I discovered while reading another topic that the various tools used in diagnosing/fixing issues must be downloaded to and run from the desktop. I had created a user folder to which I downloaded and ran both OTL and aswMBE. Should I re-download to desktop and rerun those utilities?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:20:43 PM by euthenia »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I have nothing but issues trying to add drivers not listed in Windows Update, specially updates of the already installed drivers.
The only hardware I'm adding drivers now are printers, the touchpad and camera of my notebook and the fingerprint recognition.
All others, Intel chipsets, network and WiFi drivers, etc. give nothing more than slowness and headaches.
My personal experience: install Windows and only the 3rd party drivers for non Plug and Play hardware but nothing of updates discovered by 3rd parties.
The best things in life are free.

euthenia

Indeed. Wish I hadn't been so desperate to find a driver solution for my printer. (HP and Microsoft both claim that no additional driver is necessary, though there are many complaints to the contrary. HP refuses to update drivers for older printers to make them compatible with Win 7, etc.) But I've learned my lesson.

Have been checking up on Slimware Utilities, Inc. - creator of Slim Drivers. (via a link provided by Polonus in another topic. Thanks!) "A majority of the programs developed by the company can be classified as adware or other potentially unwanted programs."

Apparently, among the things it may package along with its drivers and adware are PUPs and variants on the nasty malware Win32:Sality. Wonder if that is what is preventing me from updating my system? As I understand it, the virus starts small and insidiously invades bigger and bigger files, often managing to avoid detection. Scary.

In my last post about the timeline of my current issues, I forgot to note that twice over the last few days I have gotten the 'blue screen of death', with a warning that I didn't get to read fully before the system auto-rebooted. (Both times I feared that the system might not be able to restart.) The last time I saw one of those screens was several years and several desktops ago, and it essentially signaled the death of the machine. So, again, this is scary. Shall I attach a copy of the minidump file that was created?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:01:01 PM by euthenia »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I’ve suggest run in an admin command line window (withing connected to internet):

sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Try to update again.

Last resource, of my knowledge, run in an admin command line window (withing connected to internet):
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
The best things in life are free.

euthenia

Is this a safe command to execute? Any precautions I need to take, other than being connected to the internet first?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:55:50 AM by euthenia »

euthenia

Ran the sfc /scannow again and, as before no errors were found.

Tried to run the DISM command, but got the following message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 87

The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.
For more information, refer to the help.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>

However, it appears that both Windows Update and Online Help are now available. Fingers crossed!

If there are any further difficulties I'll post here again. Thanks for your assistance!

euthenia

Oh, by the way, is there any way to completely remove the bits and pieces (and sometimes entire folders) left over after uninstalling programs? Many are hidden files, some of which are for SlimWare Utilities Inc. even though I removed SlimDrivers. One is a hidden folder full of various files and another is a hidden Microsoft Installer Package for SlimDrivers called setup.msi. Hate to leave them on my machine . . .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:15:13 AM by euthenia »