Author Topic: Virus Chest - System Files  (Read 3058 times)

joco

Virus Chest - System Files
« on: July 23, 2005, 10:02:56 PM »
???  I am new to AVAST but plan to be a long time user.  I really like it.  I also had a friend install AVAST on her lap top and helped her to get started.  She had several occurrences of a worm and AVAST found all 103 of them and I was able to remove them.   ;D 
She also had a virus regarding HOTBAR and AVAST found them and I moved them to the CHEST.  After several scans and the use of Spybot Search and Destroy the virus is gone.  However, when I look in the CHEST under System Files, I found the following:
Kernel32.dll   Winsock.dll   and Wsock32.dll  (all in Windows System32)

Herlaptop seems to be working fine and free of all viruses and worms.  My question is should I do anything with or to the three dll's or just leave well enough alone?
Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Virus Chest - System Files
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »
The answer is in your question.
However, when I look in the CHEST under System Files, I found the following:
Look at the EXACT location they are.
They are under the SYSTEM FILES.
Those are just backups from a few system files, that Avast can use in case the original ones get infected.

ps:
Answers to questions like this can easily be found with the search function on this board.
Look at this board as a huge book with questions and answers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 10:43:24 PM by Eddy »

joco

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »
Thank you for the info  and I will try to remember to use the search function in the future.  I got a lot of info from this forum yesterday when I was trying to rid all the viruses and worms from my friend's computer.  Thanks again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 10:43:43 PM »
Welcome to the Avast family !

joco

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 11:10:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcome message.  In the past, I have used Norton, McAffee and AVG. (I have a 2 year subscription for AVG on my desk top now) and finally a friend told me about AVAST so I installed that on my laptop and love it.  I will more than likely switch to AVAST on the Desk top as well.  Yesterday, I became a bit  more involved with the AVAST anti virus product and now I am a firm believer in the product.  I will spread the word to other friends.