Author Topic: Roll back - suggestion  (Read 13812 times)

Walker

Roll back - suggestion
« on: October 24, 2003, 05:38:38 AM »
Alwil team,

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if it belongs in the 'wishlist' (apologies if either is the case).

A suggestion... how about having a local 'roll back' feature in Avast?. Is this possible?.

Thinking being, if there is a problem with an update release, at least users could revert to the previous version whilst any problem(s) are being fixed, rather than possibly running a problem version or in the worst case having no A-V.

I realise bugs and problems do get fixed quickly, but there has been a couple of occasions where I would have preferred the option to roll back for a short period.

Walker.

Walker

Re:Roll back - suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 02:47:43 AM »
Obviously was a silly question... from the lack of A team response  :'( :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 02:59:08 AM »
Alwil team,

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if it belongs in the 'wishlist' (apologies if either is the case).

A suggestion... how about having a local 'roll back' feature in Avast?. Is this possible?.

Thinking being, if there is a problem with an update release, at least users could revert to the previous version whilst any problem(s) are being fixed, rather than possibly running a problem version or in the worst case having no A-V.

I realise bugs and problems do get fixed quickly, but there has been a couple of occasions where I would have preferred the option to roll back for a short period.

Walker.

Sorry Walker, I'm not the avast! team as you asked but I can guess something (I'm not sure). I think you can run "Repair" option from the Add/Remove Programs applet from Control Panel... If it does not work, then a roll back feature is wellcoming... Yesterday, with 4.1.287 version we had a headache... 4.1.289 solves everything... Anyway, can you post the same thing at WISHLIST? I was trying to make a compilation of them... Maybe this weekend  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 03:33:39 AM »
Hi Tech,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that the 'repair' option would just re-install the latest (in this scenario, problematic version), so would not quiet have the desired effect... Not that I've ever tried using the repair feature, as Avast is so good anyway  :)

Been waiting for your compiled list... here's hoping it is in 'one' message for easier following....  ;D ;D ;D

Walker.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 10:11:15 AM »
While this feature sounds nice, it has major technical drawbacks. We'd have to store the installation packages of the n-1 version somewhere, which is currently not the case. I think it would require quite a radical change in the setup engine which is something I want to avoid if possible - the setup/updating engine is vital part of the product, and now (starting with v.278) that it finally got to a functional shape it's too risky to start again and make such changes... :-\

Maybe in avast 5 ;)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 01:04:44 PM »
While this feature sounds nice, it has major technical drawbacks. We'd have to store the installation packages of the n-1 version somewhere, which is currently not the case. I think it would require quite a radical change in the setup engine which is something I want to avoid if possible - the setup/updating engine is vital part of the product, and now (starting with v.278) that it finally got to a functional shape it's too risky to start again and make such changes... :-\

Maybe in avast 5 ;)

Vlk

Thanks Vlk. We know that is a difficult technical thing... Are you talking about avast! 1.5 or avast! 5.0  ;D Just to know how long we will wait for it...  ;)

kubecj

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 01:05:55 PM »
I'd vote for avast! 6  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 01:09:29 PM »
Been waiting for your compiled list... here's hoping it is in 'one' message for easier following....  ;D ;D ;D
Walker.

Sorry for the inconvenience. But there are two problems:
1) I do not like long posts and threads... It´s difficult to read and, for me, to follow the solutions presented. Long conversation in a foreing language could bring mistakes and misunderstandings...  8)
2) There is a limitation of characters of each post.  8)
3) I was thinking about a "poll" forum, where the users could vote for the features. I do not get the "final" solution for this. Anyway, I´ll submit it to Pavel who can tell me what is better.  ;D

Walker

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 02:44:50 PM »
Maybe in avast 5 ;)
Vlk

I'd vote for avast! 6  ;D

So that's confirmed then.... next week, with an update 10 minutes later <only joking fellas>  :)

Thanks for the responses... I'd still like to see it happen... if/when possible.  :)

Walker

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 03:05:05 PM »
Sorry for the inconvenience. But there are two problems:

Hey Tech, lighten up a little and leave out the 'sorries' and 'inconvenience' stuff :'( it's not what's needed  ;D . There's already enough griseling on the forums about what can and can't be said  :-X . I'm happy to talk about the serious side of AV etc... but I don't wanna log off the forum each time with manic depression and wishing to shoot myself. There's always room for a bit of humour in life alongside the serious stuff :-\

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your wishlist thing. I was just hoping that it wouldn't be like the present one with multiple messages to plow through. This goes back to an earlier suggestion I made about having this kind of thing easy to read... for me anyway... just another humble users opinion  ;)

Walker
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 04:09:00 PM by Walker »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 10:14:49 PM »
Ok Walker, I agree of you, but it was just a way of speak, I mean, a fair play game with the other users' suggestions...  ;D

Walker

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2003, 11:24:31 PM »
Ok Walker, I agree of you, but it was just a way of speak, I mean, a fair play game with the other users' suggestions...  ;D

Right Tech... I'm with you know  ??? ??? ???  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2003, 01:54:48 AM »
Walker.

Sorry Walker, I could not finished it yet  :'(
Maybe Pavel - if he reads this post, his IM is "blocked" to me and I don´t know why...  :'( - could help me with this:
I want to make a poll forum with "check boxes" YES and NO, so the user could vote if the feature (Wishlist) is good or not for him... But, as I could seach, the YaBB (forum web-software) only allows "Option buttons" and if the user chooses one, the other will be disabled... This is not what I was looking for  :'(

Walker

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2003, 02:08:04 AM »
I want to make a poll forum with "check boxes" YES and NO, so the user could vote if the feature (Wishlist) is good or not for him...

Hi Tech,

Yep, I kinda got the idea of what you are proposing and I think the present wishlist could do with some kind of order. It's just that personally, I think we're gonna end up with another long wishlist with many individual polls/messages that then have to be ploughed through.

I'd always thought that one message (that perhaps could be updated by you or another) with a list of 'wishes' and columns say something like 'done', 'planned', 'not possible' etc... all in a Table format. Perhaps with an extra column for the number of users who have said yes or no to each feature from the present wishlist.

I'm just thinking aloud really Tech... it just sounds a bit more 'readable' for this individual  ;D

Whatever you do... thanks for the effort and good luck with it.

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2003, 02:14:16 AM »
I'd always thought that one message (that perhaps could be updated by you or another) with a list of 'wishes' and columns say something like 'done', 'planned', 'not possible' etc... all in a Table format. Perhaps with an extra column for the number of users who have said yes or no to each feature from the present wishlist.
Walker.

I think exactly what you posted... But, by now, only the owner of a post could modify it, the others could do nothing, so I wish Pavel could say something to us.  ;)