Author Topic: connetion timeout  (Read 5117 times)

sandraz

connetion timeout
« on: August 20, 2005, 11:25:22 PM »
I am new to Avast and am trying it out. (Have Norton)
I get an "Avast connection timeout" once-in-a-while and "should I wait?" So I click No!??
So far, this is so different from what I am used to. Some of it is totally difficult to understand! Thanks for any help.
Sandy  ???

sandraz

Re: connection timeout
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 11:29:20 PM »
Gosh, first post, and you would think I could not spell!!CONNECTION!! Sorry about that

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: connetion timeout
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 11:34:23 PM »
That's not a problem... problem is that you already have a NORTON antivirus installed on your system. Norton antivirus is unbelievable heavy on system resources and it doesn't work with any other antivirus installed on the same machine in the same time. That's a golden rule. Never run two resident antiviruses on the same machine in the same time.

There are numerous threads in this forum explaining why. You'll find a search feature up there (top of the page) and I'm sure you'll get hundreds of hits if you just type Norton.

I'm affraid you have to completely uninstall Norton prior installing avast! (or any other antivirus for that matter). Uninstalling a Norton is not that easy job as it may seems. Search these forums, it's been many times explained how to properly do that, and which tools you have to use.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

sandraz

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 11:40:00 PM »
Yes, I did uninstall Norton, but saved the download. I may have to see if there is anything left concerning Norton??

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 11:43:18 PM »
Also, no info from your side...

What's the OS, what's the version of avast! you are trying out. Which is the mail client you are using. All those things are very important, so you have to help us, and then we will be able to assist you.

Regarding Internet connection timeouts... you have to click on avast! icon in system tray (left click it just once), when you get new window on the screen, click on button DETAILS... to see icons on the left side of the window (in case you don't see them already).

Now, scroll down and find INTERNET MAIL provider. That is in case you are using Outlook Express. If you are using MS Outlook (big difference), then you don't need this provider up and running. Instead, you need Outlook/Exchange. In case you don't use MS Outlook at all, then completely terminate Outlook/Exchange provider since it's not used by Outlook Express.

No, back to INTERNET MAIL provider. Click on that icon... click on CUSTOMIZE button. Choose ADVANCED tab, and inside TIMEOUT FOR INTERNET COMMUNICATION(s) field, enter some larger number... like 400 for example... Click OK, then OK again, and you're good to go...

It would be also good to increase those values in Outlook Express, for all accounts you are using... When you are inside Outlook Express... click on TOOLS, then ACCOUNTS... now choose the account you want to change it's settings and click on PROPERTIES... go to ADVANCED tab, and move that slider (SERVER TIMEOUTS) to some higher number (towards the right side). CLick OK, click CLOSE and that's it.... repeat this procedure for all accounts you are having problems with...

Cheers !

- Search keywords: internet connection timeout, internet mail, Outlook Express
[/color]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 02:03:25 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 11:44:47 PM »
Yes, I did uninstall Norton, but saved the download. I may have to see if there is anything left concerning Norton??

Yes, that would be great... but let's first try with my advice from my previous reply... ok ? If you don't experience any problems, then you are most likely fine... otherwise, you'll come back here with additional questions, and some of us will be glad to assist you...

By the way, WELCOME to forums !

Regards !