Author Topic: avast! and the Sygate firewall  (Read 5331 times)

Rowdy

avast! and the Sygate firewall
« on: September 20, 2005, 04:19:42 PM »
Hello

I am curious as to how avast! web shield works with Sygate firewall. When i use web shield, Sygate asks permission for web shield to access the internet using the standard port for web browsers. If i check ie for access in Sygate does webshield still use it's own port or does it go through Sygate. I guess what i am asking is when i have web shield enabled and Sygate checked to let ie have access to the internet does anything pass thru Sygate's permissions? If i deny access to ie in Sygate i can still use ie when webshield is enabled. I am not sure if this is too confusing of a question but i would like to know how this works.

Thank You

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! and the Sygate firewall
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 04:49:39 PM »
As far I know, WebShield will work as a local proxy and Sygate will only ask permition for it to connect.
If you delete all your allowed applications, allow WebShield, the other applications that use HTTP will be tunneled by WebShield and won't ask for permition in Sygate. Other firewall don't work like that (like ZA, Outpost, Kerio) and manage the loopback different.
Anyway, there is some experts in Sygate firewall that could correct me if I'm wrong.
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 06:55:35 PM »
I am in no way an expert. But a few words.

Yes, Sygate allows IE through webshield with no asking by default, same as all the known browsers. Because webshield is a browser local proxy.

But not other http traffic, not windows media player etc.

And you sure can restrict what browsers are filtered by webshield.
With me, IE is not allowed to use avast proxy, cause I don't use it, very often, and only on safe sites.

How to do it:
Go to webshield settings, Basic-tab, blank the 'Redirected HTTP ports' field.
Now NO browser is able to have webshield protection. And they don't also get past avast! webshield without asking using Sygate firewall.

To set a browser to use that protection proxy, an example is firefox:
http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/ws_ffproxy.htm

Here is for IE too:
http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/ws_ieproxy.htm

Normally anyways people allow the browsers they use to internet, without even ask setting in a firewall setting.
But as I use IE so seldom, i have it not to use Webshield, just cause it is integrated into windows so tightly :P

Jarmo P

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 08:01:49 PM »
Well, hehe, I wanted to post this message to tech, but he has me blocked, for some reasons beyond my mind.

So here it is:

Just wanted you to know that when you first found about Sygate and a nono with local proxies, unless wanting to loose the outbound protection, that Avast webshield was not the same as it is today.

It was the first version then. Now it is well behaved browser proxy in my opinion with Sygate fw. I would not trust it though without blanking the redirected ports fiels in webshield :P

And remember you did run some other proxy that allowed more with SPF?

So now it does not allow all http traffic as you told in that sygate questioners thread today ;)

With best wishes, I respect you as a person who helps people in Avast site,
Jarmo

PS
want to read my opinion about SPF 5.6?
http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=9f0638ee0b64122e169918adf3455703&threadid=14025

I am not into flame talks as i hope you realize, hehe?

Rowdy

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 10:35:57 PM »
Thanks to all for your help. Very informative. Lots of good info. I think avast! is an excellent product with good features. I always did wonder about windows starting up with no firewall running until the desktop shows. I do use Sygate 5.5 and was thinking about using Kerio since they say it starts before all the other processes start. I always leave dsl on when working with the pc.

Thank You

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 10:49:51 PM »
Well, hehe, I wanted to post this message to tech, but he has me blocked, for some reasons beyond my mind.
Sorry...  :-[
Everything is ok now.

Just wanted you to know that when you first found about Sygate and a nono with local proxies, unless wanting to loose the outbound protection, that Avast webshield was not the same as it is today. It was the first version then. Now it is well behaved browser proxy in my opinion with Sygate fw. I would not trust it though without blanking the redirected ports fiels in webshield :P
Thanks for this info. Very good. It's a pity that Sygate could not follow up after being buyed by Symantec.
Will they continue the SPF?

And remember you did run some other proxy that allowed more with SPF?
Yes, other local proxy. I think in my case I can't follow what you've posted right now. I can't blank the redirected ports. Or I won't connect, or I need to shutdown WebShield. Other firewalls do this, I mean, allow WebShield + another local proxy filter (for annonimizing, for instance).

So now it does not allow all http traffic as you told in that sygate questioners thread today ;)
Thanks for the correction. I've learned.

sded

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 10:50:36 PM »
Kerio 4.2 (free) works very well with avast!  I switched after Symantec bought Sygate, but had used Kerio before (2.1.5 and 4.1).  Had some compatibility problems with earlier Kerio 4 versions, but they all seem to be solved in 4.2.  You can start out with just high level program control, add packet filters later if you want to tighten up your security.  Too bad it's being discontinued, but should be good until the next major version of Windows.  See http://www/dslreports.com/forum/kerio for advice on setting up packet filters for Kerio.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 10:59:38 PM »
But should be good until the next major version of Windows.
Sorry the off topic, but, I've read that Windows Vista will have an internal firewall with both inbound and outbound traffic control, is this true?

MFB

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 11:25:20 PM »
Yep Windows Vista Firewall will provide incoming and outbound protection.

Click here

Jarmo P

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 11:27:28 PM »
IMO, outbound controlling firewalls are a bit too much for a typical computer user. Does not want to know anything else than email and IE works. 
Doesn't want to know about antiviruses and definately not even to hear some unfamiliar concept as firewall, lol.

I am thinking MS is even worse than Symanted, but as Tech, someone has news?