Author Topic: Firewall?  (Read 6397 times)

CWBillow

Firewall?
« on: November 18, 2005, 08:16:13 AM »
I am on a home network, with a "firewall" in the router.  My specific PC is wireless to the host machine.

We are all running Windows XP Pro SP-2.

I am running Avast Pro 4.x.

If I install Zone Alarm, Avast gives me a message of a conflict, suggesting I turn off Avast's firewall.

I wasn't aware that Avast had firewall capabilities.

Do I even need Zone Alarm assuming all the above?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

galooma

Re: Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 08:37:10 AM »
Hi and welcome ,
yes a firewall is important, it monitors traffic,inward and out , ignore the message ok
good luck

CWBillow

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 10:22:29 AM »
Ignore avast!'s message, and install Zone Alarm?

a firewall is important, it monitors traffic,inward and out , ignore the message ok

timcan

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 11:36:26 AM »

a firewall is important, it monitors traffic,inward and out , ignore the message ok
   If this is the free ZA, click no to the message.It works fine with avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 11:41:52 AM »
If I install Zone Alarm, Avast gives me a message of a conflict, suggesting I turn off Avast's firewall.
avast! is not a firewall.
It works perfectly with ZoneAlarm (free) and, if you follow the messages of avast installation process, with ZoneAlarm Pro too.
There is a conflict that will be solved in next ZoneAlarm version (as the problem in on a driver of them, not avast).
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 03:49:44 PM »
Quote from: Tech
avast! is not a firewall.
It works perfectly with ZoneAlarm (free) and, if you follow the messages of avast installation process, with ZoneAlarm Pro too.
There is a conflict that will be solved in next ZoneAlarm version (as the problem in on a driver of them, not avast).

I agree. In fact there is a conflict with ZoneAlarm (or I rather like to call it a bug in ZoneAlarm) that prevents it's Cookie blocking features to work correctly with WebShield in transparent mode. Unfortunately I doubt that will be ever solved by them. You might either turn the Cookie blocking off or turn the WebShield's transparent mode off.

And besides this there is bug in ZoneAlarm (or I rather like to call it a critical bug) that causes blue screen of death with async IO (eg. those that are performed by WebShield). This bug will be hopefully fixed very soon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 05:01:49 PM »

See these links:
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro and Privacy Control in ZoneAlarm is set to High and if you click YES in avast comptability dialog box the transparent mode proxy in webshield will be turned off you have to manually configure browser to access internet. To manually configure your browser watch instructional video

For IE - broadband users: - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE
For IE - dialup users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for IE (Dial-up)
For Firefox users - Tutorial - Web Shield Proxy Set-up for Firefox
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lawrenceimpey

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 07:43:40 PM »
"We are all running Windows XP Pro SP-2"

If that's the case you don't need a third party firewall -- just activate the one in XP.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 07:48:27 PM »
Wrong, the XP firewall only provides inbound protection, not full outbound protection. There is nothing to stop any new or undetected trojan/worm from connecting to the internet to download more of the same or upload your user name/passwords, credit card details or any other personal confidential information, etc.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 02:05:03 AM »
"We are all running Windows XP Pro SP-2" If that's the case you don't need a third party firewall -- just activate the one in XP.
I trust in Microsoft.
But I never trusted ONLY in Microsoft.
Why do users never learn that it's impossible for Microsoft being the best in ALL fields...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 02:47:14 AM »
This was probably one of the worst things MS did call the crippled XP firewall a firewall. It lulls people into a false sense of security in thinking they are full protected when there is nothing stopping malware connecting to the internet if it manages to get on your system.

AvastForever

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 06:21:56 AM »
"We are all running Windows XP Pro SP-2" If that's the case you don't need a third party firewall -- just activate the one in XP.
I trust in Microsoft.
But I never trusted ONLY in Microsoft.
Why do users never learn that it's impossible for Microsoft being the best in ALL fields...

I agree. Windows xp is ok for those who just connect to internet for email or just a quick shopping (10min tops). But for the Hard-core internet users out there and the always on internet access like me needs ZA or the like. Windows Xp just protects incoming attacks which i believe is useless since alot of trojans connect to internet on they own.

Basic Line:

Always-on internet connection, Hard-core internet users= Need a personal firewall like ZA, sygate, etc.

For some people even a personal FW like ZA is good to have for light internet users even though is not really needed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 06:24:31 AM by AvastForever »