Author Topic: new good firewall?  (Read 4577 times)

scaa

new good firewall?
« on: November 21, 2005, 05:03:58 AM »
I somewhere read about JETICO personal firewall. The company is supposed to be very good at encryption softwares.
Just to give it a try ( i was using za free) I installed the same and found to be very good. It passed all the  tests of tooleaky, leak test, hacjkerwatch and sygate.
I would request knowlegeable members of this forum ( I am not at all one, but a user and fan of avast) to try it out and psot comments on the same. It is as of now a FREE VERSION.
http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm

neal62

Re: new good firewall?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 09:38:14 AM »
scaa,

Please report back here after you have had a chance to evaluate the Jetico Firewall. I would be interested in hearing how you like it. Also am I reading their information correctly in that the Firewall is only free for evaluation for a period of time? Then, I suppose you have to purchase it? I would be interested in knowing about that also. Thanks for the post. Have a good day.  :)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:08:47 PM »
 ;)

timcan

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:42:09 AM »
At the moment Jetico Personal Firewall detects and prevents the activity of malicious programs found in these test programs such as: AWFT, DNStest, Copycat, FireHole, Ghost, LeakTest, MBTest, Outbound, PCAudit, PCAudit2, Surfer, Thermit, TooLeaky, WallBreaker, Yalta and Yalta Advanced (*).
---------------
(*) The Yalta Advanced test program incorrectly reports that packets are successfully sent even though Jetico Personal Firewall rejects them. You can test this for yourself by configuring the test program on a second computer where you can log all incoming traffic. The Jetico Personal Firewall will reject Yalta's packets, and you will not detect them on your second computer.
  Jetico must have really improved.    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htmThis data is rather outdated.

scaa

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 01:38:04 PM »
 :)One  issue is that security centre in xp sp2 dos not recognise it. I had contacted their support and I have been informed that this firewall DOES NOT interfere with the windows firewall and BOTH can be used simultaneously. They are  building version 2 which they say would likely support security center integration

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 02:22:52 PM »
Hi scaa,

What if software firewalls were mainly snake-oil and did not substantially add anything towards security. I propose you read this article:
http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html. Please comment on what you read there. The author says the only real firewalls are hardware firewalls,
the other variety is just monitoring tools.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 01:43:57 AM »
Hahaha, this is sooooo true:

...If you want to play with a piece of windows software that makes you click all over the place, there's always minesweeper.

If you'll feel safer sleeping at night knowing there's a 'personal firewall' running on your system, then install one. As long as you pay no attention to the "hack attacks" it reports it's better than nothing. A free one, ideally, as few of them are worth paying for. Turn off all the alerts and logging - you'll just waste your time (and, more importantly to me, my time and the time of other network administrators your complaints go to) increase your blood pressure and provide no benefit to you. If you really want to leave them turned on and see where traffic is coming from, feel free, but remember that most of the traffic you see is harmless, and that even if it isn't harmless it can't affect your system (if it could, it wouldn't be logged). Oh, and try not to waste admins time with frivolous complaints...

This guys is my idol, and all those things he spoke are nothing but the true. So much smoke around nothing and he freely speaks about those things. If we have more security expert like he is, I'm sure it would be much easier to understand computer security related things.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s