Author Topic: other update problems  (Read 3830 times)

kc692

other update problems
« on: December 19, 2005, 02:27:42 AM »
I am trying Avast 4 before upgrading to professional.  I cannot update the definitions.  I had the same problem with Kaspersky as far as network error, but they have a known problem in some instances.  I am on modem, and am connected to the Internet but get the message cannot connect to server and then the message

you are not connected to the Internet.
- your firewall does not allow the program "avast*.setup" to access the Internet; you can find details in help or read the FAQ section on avast! website.
- your HTTP proxy settings are incorrect.
- the server is inaccessible because of a network error or maintenance.

I listed as exception avast, and when i tried to get avast.ini file to check settings in Notepad, i can only find and avast.int file.  For some reason, whenever I turn on computer Firewall is turned off (this was pre installation) but avast is added as an exception.  Is there someway I can manually download updagted definitions to make sure a virus is not causing this?  What else can I do?

galooma

Re: other update problems
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 03:27:06 AM »
Hi and welcome,
Can you give us a little more info about the system you are running and what steps you have taken.
Most AV products are stubborn to remove and maybe KAV left some problem files.
what security programs are you running , which Firewall?+?
Are you installing the trial of the pro version or Avast! home?
What version of windows are you working with?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:31:10 AM »
Updating troubles seem to be related to firewall blocking.
Can you rephrase

I listed as exception avast
Into firewall settings? Which firewall do you use?

and when i tried to get avast.ini file to check settings in Notepad, i can only find and avast.int file.
avast.int is the VRDB and what does this is related to avast4.ini file?

For some reason, whenever I turn on computer Firewall is turned off (this was pre installation) but avast is added as an exception.
Strange... again, which is your firewall?

Is there someway I can manually download updagted definitions to make sure a virus is not causing this?
Don't seem to be a virus...
You can manually download the definitions: http://www.avast.com/eng/update_avast_4_vps.html
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 02:07:05 PM »
Run this utility to remove all traces of Kaspersky from the registry:
http://www.ice-kav.com/downloads/util/KAV_Registry_Clean.zip
ICE is a US distributor for Kaspersky.
Also read more about KAV Removal Tools http://www.ice-kav.com/utilities.php
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kc692

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 03:36:25 AM »
Hi and welcome,
Can you give us a little more info about the system you are running and what steps you have taken.
Most AV products are stubborn to remove and maybe KAV left some problem files.
what security programs are you running , which Firewall?+?
Are you installing the trial of the pro version or Avast! home?
What version of windows are you working with?

I have windows xp home, and this problem was in place when I installed kaspersky, because it wouldnt up date either, will run the Kav link.  In the past, Norton adn Mcafee have been on, and Norton seemed the most obnoxious to  remove.  The firewall is the Windows Firewall standard.  I installed the home edition trial.  I also have noticed that some icons, such as Add or remove programs, Windows Firewall, and office are duplicated, but changing one results in the other changing.  Also, EVERy time the laptop is rebooted or turned off, Windows Firewall is turned off, and I manually turn it on. I do not have this problem on any of my other computers,. but this is Laptop Presario ze4420us

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:53:08 AM »
Also, EVERy time the laptop is rebooted or turned off, Windows Firewall is turned off, and I manually turn it on.
This is very strange...
How Firewall service (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services) is configurated to start?
It could be a synthom of malware but you're using only Windows Firewall, which means you don't have outbound protection...  :P
Did you fully scanned your system (maybe at boot time with avast)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 03:29:29 PM »
Since you have also had Norton onthere I suggest you try this tool to ensure that evetything, registry entries, etc. is removed.

This is a program removal tool, which can remove a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security