Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Avast is slowing down my internet access.

<< < (3/9) > >>

Atomic_Ed:
I am running the latest version of Avast Pro and have this same problem, just after the past updates of the Avast program occured.

I have an Athlon64 3200+ with 1.25gb Ram running on XP Pro x64 and now my system is running like a 386! The whole system is down to a crawl compared to before the updates and my Internet access is hit or miss whether a page will even ever load.

I read this thread and checked my webshield settings and they were in fact on high but even on standard it makes no difference. What is causing this horrendous slowdown?

I hope someone has an answer soon or I will have no choice but to uninstall Avast from my system, which I really do not want to do.

alanrf:
Atomic_Ed,

have you identied any tasks in the Windows Task Manager that seem to have very high CPU utilization?  Have you tried turning off the various avast! shields one by one to see if you can identify one that is causing your problem? 

Does turning off the Web Shield remove the problem with web page loading?

Atomic_Ed:

--- Quote from: alanrf on January 02, 2006, 05:20:43 AM ---Atomic_Ed,

have you identied any tasks in the Windows Task Manager that seem to have very high CPU utilization?  Have you tried turning off the various avast! shields one by one to see if you can identify one that is causing your problem? 

Does turning off the Web Shield remove the problem with web page loading?

--- End quote ---

Yes I have checked Task Manager and have the same number of processes running with nothing new showing up. I have disabled the webshield and it made a big difference in speed and when I disable on access scanners, well everything runs quick again and the slowdowns go away. Definately something to do with the Avast resident modules but it seems as if the webshield is only part of it.

Lisandro:

--- Quote from: Atomic_Ed on January 02, 2006, 10:17:35 AM ---Definately something to do with the Avast resident modules but it seems as if the webshield is only part of it.
--- End quote ---
Maybe a driver is 'conflicting' with WebShield...
Do you use any local proxy? Do you have any other residents running in background?

Lars-Erik:
I use WebWasher (to filter ads). It runs as a proxy. Could that be the problem. The internet access is not slow here, but I can't scroll a web page before all items are loaded when the WebShield is on. If I set WebShield to "Pause" then all is normal. Must be a WebShield thing.

BTW:  Is WebShield necessary?  Won't Standard Shield catch all?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version