Author Topic: İnternet Time Out Warning  (Read 5751 times)

manu

İnternet Time Out Warning
« on: January 04, 2006, 07:41:45 AM »
I receive "time out for connection" sign when internet idle certion period of time.Each time I select "Yes" to continue work.How can I stop that.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: İnternet Time Out Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:26:57 AM »
We can probably help you more if you will give us the exact content of the timeout message you are seeing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:58:34 PM »
And not only that but your operational system, email program, if the email messages have or not big attached files, etc.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

manu

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:13:07 PM »
Hi again,The exact content is:"Avast!:Connection Timeout.The internet connection is timeout. Does The internet still suspent.(winlogon.exe-).......mail.com)
 yes     no"

Due to the warning in my language sorry to my translation in English,  I tried to do my best. Thanks for your respond.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 05:21:59 PM »
winlogon.exe
Could be an infection  :'(
Can't you scan your system with antispywares and antitrojans applications?
Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, A-squared, Ewido or Microsoft AntiSpyware.
The best things in life are free.

manu

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:32:30 PM »
Ok,Finally it seems that I solved the problem by adjusting mail shield properties. Anyway thanks a lot  everyone. I love avast....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »
winlogon.exe in this context is almost certainly malware, there should be no requirement for winlogon.exe to conect to the internet. Do you have a firewall? if so as a temporary measure you could block internet access for winlogon.exe until this is resolved.

A forum search for 'winlogon.exe' should return some information as this has cropped up before. Schedule a boot-time scan with avast, followed up with an Ewido scan.

Adjusting the mail shield properties (what did you do?) is only allowing this through, which you don't really want to do.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

decaf

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 04:13:17 PM »
Happy New Year all!

I'm getting the same exact kind of timeout popups-but not with the 'winlogon.exe' note:

We can probably help you more if you will give us the exact content of the timeout message you are seeing.

=============\
"
Header: avast!: Connection timeout!

Internet connection timeout elapsed.  Continue waiting? [ -> mail:(myemail.com):110]

(Yes button)   (No button)
"
==============/

And not only that but your operational system, email program, if the email messages have or not big attached files, etc. ;)

Win 98SE
Thunderbird latest
It doesn't happen as I receive email, so incoming big attachments don't seem to be a trigger...

I will say this-
I scan four emails every X number of minutes for incoming notification,
and when it happens (and the popup comes up) all four emails receive a popup at the same time (restated, four popups, one behind the other, show up focused center-screen).   I suppose that could indicate the possibility that 'as it checks every X minutes' the popups occur (on all four email accounts simultaneously) ...

This is a machine I run with minimal installs-
and with everything possible UNselected from msconfig/system startup.   In my system tray, I have icons showing my MSN Messenger latest, Avast, Zone Alarm latest, volume control, and Spybot/Teatimer Resident Protection latest.  (I also have installed Spywareblaster).   I am signed onto MSN Messenger showing as 'online' 100% of the time that my Thunderbird is scanning for incoming emails, so there's no apparent way to connect or rule out whether that's causing the problem. 

My initial concern and question was,
Avast continues to scan if I don't 'hear a sound when this popup comes up, and run into the room to click the popup' right?

I ask this because, my emails still continue to roll into my Thunderbird I've noticed behind the popups (between the time the popups come up center-screen, and the time I realize -- could be hours later who knows -- and select [Yes button] on the popup).    Presuming Avast doesn't stop scanning incoming email between popup and [Yes button] depress.

My second thought, presuming the above, was 'Man, I sure wish I could assign a certain sound to that popup -- one where I could assign my own sound so that I would know away from the pc that the sound was in-fact this specific popup'.    That would help lots, presuming this is some kind of system-related thing, however I will admit I'll be running into the room lots because this happens oh I'm gonna say several times at least an hour for every hour I have this running.  But I really don't feel like my system itself is losing internet connectivity - therefore a sound would just be telling me I need to reset Avast's popup.

Additionally, I run across a broadband connection that routinely tests topping 3500kbps with no disconnects otherwise both up and down, and since this began showing up on this pc I've tested in relation to noticing the popups, and there's no disconnect otherwise.  Also, my MSN Messenger, though logged in as 'online' is unused (restated, there is no transfer 99% of the year using MSN Messenger-no messages being sent or received).  And while I remain logged as 'Online' on MSN Messenger, it does not give me any 'connection timeout popups' from it's use - even though once when I did lose internet last year, it gave me one right away and redialed until I was connected again, so it appears MSN Messenger has an aggressively sensitive disconnect system, and it's not once disconnected during this particular Avast popup event.

I've scanned with Avast - as recent again as yesterday - and come up with a completely clean machine.  Scanned just today yet again with Spybot S&D and clean.   I count my blessings, because Avast has kept me clean of evil-doers for a long time.  Needless to say, I am humbled and very grateful for such.

I know the user above says they adjusted mail settings and removed the popup- but the response to that was seemingly that to do so was possibly just bypassing the safeguards available in Avast (ref: a winlogon.exe popup scenerio) ... so now I'm not sure what to do in relation to my popup scenerio.

I'm sure I included far too much info,
but offered to help you, help me :)

ADDENDUM:
So - (1) Avast, during the time that popup is there, *is* still scanning my incoming Thunderbird emails right?  Because my Thunderbird, when leaving the popup up there, is still one-by-one receiving and showing indications of new emails as well  as making it's Thunderbird new-email-audio-sound each time - so Thunderbird is not losing any internet connectivity or stopping it's incoming email receipts apparently either. 

And - (2) And after scanning yet again in Spybot and getting the all-clean confirm, in Avast I reset the mail settings to timeout at '220' and selected instead 'Silent' mode and selected the '...Yes' box beneathe it.   Thus, would seem to me likely to mean that the popup will not any longer wait for manual [Yes button] activation from me, and that Avast will instead auto/self-select the Yes button instantly each time.   I'm hoping this isn't taking me down any notches in protection-I prefer to run in 'high' mail configs if I can.   Even so, it concerns me a touch that something makes my AV think it's disconnected when nothing else is-do I need to be concerned?  Or can I rest reasonably confident, that changing the timeout/popup settings in this way hasn't compromised my Avast testing my incoming emails?  And in Avast is the internet-timeout-popup described above a sign of any past/future possible diminished performance of Avast scanning the emails that come into Thunderbird even tho the popup sat there maybe an hour or more at times before I knew and hit 'Yes(continue)' (restated-when Avast 'thinks' my internet connection is timed out, does/has/will it stop scanning my continuing-to-come-in Thunderbird emails until I manually hit 'Yes(continue)' ?

Any response is appreciated.  Thanks for all the hard work-many out here are very grateful!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:16:07 PM by decaf »