Author Topic: My computer came back to life !  (Read 3732 times)

Thunder Bird

My computer came back to life !
« on: January 21, 2006, 04:01:17 AM »
A heart felt thanks to Avast for restoring my computer back to normal working condition.
The computer got to the stage that it would take up to 3 minutes to open a folder on the desktop, I could not access Control Panel (something about explorer.exe encountering a problem and has to shutdown).

The computer finally locked up and when I used the reset button I lost my wireless connection, I finally got back on line after contacting the wireless modem supplier to find out my keycode for the router (I forgot that it generated a hexcode key from my password ?)
I reloaded Windows XP several times (using the second repair option in the install process) but to no avail (I have XP home installed and a second CD to load SP2).
At the time when this started I had Nortons virus protector running (and up to date) with Registry Mechanic checking every time I started the computer.

I tried Spybot, Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpywareBlaster and AVG all to no avail then I heard of someone else who had had similiar problems and was told that the only program he could find that identified the problems was Avast.  I managed to get on line and download Avast albeit very slowly.

Near the end of this download I was told the download had encountered a problem and I should empty my temporary file in my browser. But a virus check started and identified several problem files (2 of which were Norton files) a file table was corrupt along with others, I put all the ones that could not be repaired into the vault. (Thinking to check them later).

When the Avast control panel came up it would not work regardless of which options I tried so I then emptied the temporary file in my web browser and went to reload Avast but was told I would have to uninstall the existing copy first, I did this and then reloaded Avast and the control panel worked fine but when I went to have a look at what files had been stored in the vault the vault was empty so I could not identify which files were corrupted !!!
I checked the Nortons Recycle Bin but to no avail ??

While I think the Avast program is the best thing since sliced bread I feel that it would be great if a small note on the download site alerted people to first empty their browsers temporary files before they start to download Avast and then they will not loose important corrupt file information from the vault like I did.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: My computer came back to life !
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 03:49:06 PM »
I checked the Nortons Recycle Bin but to no avail ??
Norton gets so heavily embedded into you system it is harder to get rid of than a virus even after an add remove programs uninstall. This is often the problem with a failed install of another AV. It is not advised to have two resident AVs installed on the same system (even if you disable one), there is too much room for conflict.

A link worth looking at which is a program removal tool, which can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

I feel that it would be great if a small note on the download site alerted people to first empty their browsers temporary files before they start to download Avast
I think a note about not installing avast until you have removed any other resident AV would probably have been better. I personally haven't heard of this warning about the browsers temporary files in the forum, which I would expect if it were prevalent.

Welcome to the forums and the avast! family.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tidalwarrior

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:18:54 AM »
I don't see a need to do that.  I don't won't the tools themselves to cause problems.  The computer is running fine now.  What silly is how these viruses just get on the computer and it seems to be just a mistery. I searched the internet and  symantec website and thats just a joke.  I do have it quarantined and the computer is working fine so I guess I'll delete it in the near future.  I'll wait to make sure its not a geniune file.   

Ricky

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:36:11 AM »

Ummm ... make a post in the wrong thread?    ;)

Tidalwarrior

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 06:49:09 AM »
Oh now how in the crap did that happen.  ;D Well if this forum would allow you to log after you submit a post instead of posting you stuff as a guest right away.  What happens is I click on the link in my email, I'm a guest have to copy the link and the login, paste the link then post. What would be nice is if it pops up the login screen before or after your post.  I think its an error with the forum I've never had this happen before. Well I'll just have to copy the post in its correct area.   arrrg. 

Ricky