Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.6.760)  (Read 13923 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Update Jan 28, 2006: the new build has now been officially released as 4.6.763. Beta users can invoke program update to return to the release stream and get the latest official version. Thanks to everyone who helped testing.

Hi *,

here I'm again. An avast Home/Pro update is coming soon (my guess is in about a week) and as usual, it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update.

How to install it (for starters - most people already know this trick anyway ): simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe . That's about all it takes (provided you have the latest version of avast Home/Pro already installed, of course).

There is a number of fixes in this release and a couple of new features as well. To name a few - (hopefully) improved computer shutdown speeds, better handling of UUencoded files, possibility to control a scheduled scan (Pro version only), screensaver support in 64-bit Windows etc.

Also, this release adds Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional) language version.

Any comments on this release are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 01:15:42 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

CharleyO

Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.6.758)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:08:33 PM »

Hi Vik,

I have downloaded and installed the beta. All went well though I do not notice any change what-so-ever. Should I see a difference ... such as Avast being labled as beta?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 07:44:56 PM »
Ta Vlk got it and running

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 07:59:06 PM »
Just about finished downloading it (dial-up is sooo slooow).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MaDonna

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 08:20:37 PM »
Good morning...I have downloaded asbeta.exe.

I have not installed it yet.I  currentlyI have 4.6 Home installed.

Do I have to uninstall it or can I install over it?

Also, is this beta versiion the same exact version that will come out later this week that    will not be a beta?

Thanks.... ???

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »
MaDonna,

Beta versions are for testing and, depending on the outcome, something may change in the final release version.    :)

As Vlk mentioned in his original post ... " simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe . That's about all it takes (provided you have the latest version of avast Home/Pro already installed, of course)."

It will install over your the one you have now. You have 4.6 which is the lastest version.    :)

MaDonna

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:00:26 PM »
Thank you...all working well.... 8)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 12:38:39 PM »
Ok, I've found one new big problem, which started with beta installation. MS Outlook plugin fails on scanning any mail (incoming, outgoing, on open). In the other hand, certification is inserted... Something is not working with plugin. Checked all possible problems, but found nothing, so now I'm posting it. Seems to be a bug. Hope it will be fixed soon. MS Outlook 2003 here.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
Just installed the beta ;D

And I've noticed that there is new option in the Troubleshooting section, called "Stop the scanning on level core in the OS" or something like that(I am using the Bulgarian version). What this option mean?
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 12:50:19 PM »
It also says "Don't change unless instructed to do so" ;D

Normally, part of avast! scanning is performed in kernel mode (you can say "in driver"). For the user, there's no difference between kernel- and application-mode scanning - with one exception. If the underlying hardware is unstable (overheating CPU, bad RAM modules, ...), errors may occur - an error in application-mode results in program crash; an error in kernel-mode, however, results in bluscreen. So, this option is there just to help us with some troubleshooting (where spontaneous reboots occur).

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 01:03:21 PM »
It also says "Don't change unless instructed to do so" ;D

Normally, part of avast! scanning is performed in kernel mode (you can say "in driver"). For the user, there's no difference between kernel- and application-mode scanning - with one exception. If the underlying hardware is unstable (overheating CPU, bad RAM modules, ...), errors may occur - an error in application-mode results in program crash; an error in kernel-mode, however, results in bluscreen. So, this option is there just to help us with some troubleshooting (where spontaneous reboots occur).
Thanks Igor :) Shouldn't this info be added to the help files?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 01:40:43 PM »
Ok, I've found one new big problem, which started with beta installation. MS Outlook plugin fails on scanning any mail (incoming, outgoing, on open). In the other hand, certification is inserted... Something is not working with plugin. Checked all possible problems, but found nothing, so now I'm posting it. Seems to be a bug. Hope it will be fixed soon. MS Outlook 2003 here.

Thanks YLAP, your right, this is a bug in the beta. It will be fixed shortly.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »
As Vlk noted, I've done some changes to the screensave code. It should affect 64bit environment only, but just to be sure - if anybody is using avast! screensaver, please check that it's working the same as it did before. ;)
Thanks!

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 02:22:13 PM »
As Vlk noted, I've done some changes to the screensave code. It should affect 64bit environment only, but just to be sure - if anybody is using avast! screensaver, please check that it's working the same as it did before. ;)
Thanks!

Just tested it. And I've noticed something: when I use 2D screen saver(for example Windows Starfield) everything is ok, but when I use 3D screen saver(for example Window 3D Text) the screen saver is running and a scanning is running, but there is no blue status window while scanning. Is this normal?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 02:47:37 PM »
I'm afraid it's normal.
avast! can interract with the ordinary screensavers (i.e. add its own window into the screensaver's "painting"), but it's not able to work with 3D ones (who switch to OpenGL, or something like that).