Author Topic: Infected E-mail - Auto delete?  (Read 2496 times)

MikeIL

Infected E-mail - Auto delete?
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »
Is there a way to set my e-mail to just auto delete anything that is infected?  I need to run my e-mail while I'm away from the desk and sometimes it's stuck on waiting for my input.

thanks

CharleyO

Re: Infected E-mail - Auto delete?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:17:23 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Mike!    :)

That might depend on your email program. What is it?    ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Infected E-mail - Auto delete?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:21:43 PM »
Yes.

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No.

Personally I don't use silent mode, because I want to know what is going on with my system. If someone is getting so many warnings of virus infection, infected emails, etc. that they become intrusive, then it is time to review their security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, sites they visit, etc.

Leave the file in the chest for a week or two (it can do no harm from there). Then scan the file again in the chest to ensure it is still detected as infected and if so delete it from the chest.

If you are regularly getting these infected emails, so as to be intrusive and not wanting to be notified about them, perhaps it is time to review your PC security. Rather than treat the symptoms, treat the disease. You can intercept these emails at source (your isp/services mail server) and delete them there, rather than download them.

I use MailWasher Pro, although it is primarily for Spam it is also easy to deal with suspicious emails. There is a free version, but this only works with a single email account. The Pro version works with multiple accounts.

Unfortunately these may not help if you are away from your system as they too require some user input.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security