Author Topic: is uTorrent covered by the P2P shield ?  (Read 4247 times)

brjoon1021

is uTorrent covered by the P2P shield ?
« on: February 02, 2006, 07:53:50 PM »
I don't have it (P2P Shield) installed yet. So, I can't look at the list of supported P2P / torrent clients. If it is not supported, which of the supported torrent clients do you prefer ?

thanks,

B.

..::ReVaN::..

Re: is uTorrent covered by the P2P shield ?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:03:51 PM »
Yes uTorrent is supported and so are BitComet,BitLord,ABC,BitPump and the original BitTorrent clients(of course Shareaza also supports torrents) ;)
Unfortunately my favorite client Azureus isn't supported and by the way it looks now i don't think it ever will be....

brjoon1021

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:06:11 PM »
Thank you for replying.

I have been using Azureus up until now. I have read where it and uTorrent are the two best so I wanted to switch to uTorrent so that everything can go through avast!

Why do you believe that Azureus will never be supported by the P2P Shield?

thanks,
B.

..::ReVaN::..

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »
Why do you believe that Azureus will never be supported by the P2P Shield?

Well i guess you should really ask the alwil team that question.... We have been asking them to add support for Azureus for over a year now but nothing has happened in that direction and i believe it's because Azureus works trough Java and that presents some problems to them.I guess it's just too much work to get around those problems.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:39:33 PM »
Yup, and we still run our Azureus'es (  ;D ) "naked" and not protected... Can someone from Alwil tell us please, are there any plans to include Azureus into P2P shield list any time soon, or we still should ride our Azureus "naked" ? Also, I am very interested to learn why is it so difficult to add Azureus into that list and what is the main problem that disables possiblity of adding it ?

Thanks in advance Alwil !

Btw, while we are here, brjoon1021... what are your experiences with uTorrent client ? Good or bad ? Brief review would be very nice if you have some free time... thanks in advance !

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

brjoon1021

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 07:30:53 AM »
I actually have not used it yet. I just read on the web that several people liked it and mentioned in the same breathe as Azureus. I am going to switch over to it from Azureus because of avast!

B.

DukeNukem

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »
Even if the P2P program isnt in the avast p2p shield any file the p2p program in question creates or modifies should be scanned by avasts resident shield anyway depending on your avast settings.

uTorrent has very low memory usage, it is simple and very straight forward to setup. I prefer utorrent over azureus, dont like the idea of installing java.