Author Topic: Scanning  (Read 2477 times)

NskylineGTR

Scanning
« on: February 19, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »
How do I make it so the virus scans my computer and then asks me what to do with each virus?

When it finds a virus as of now, a pop up will appear asking me what to do. However when scanning I like to leave my computer get on with it while I am doing something else away from the comp. Is this option available in free version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scanning
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:25:07 PM »
These advanced automated options are only available in the Pro version.

You only have a limited option in the Home (free) version, to send the infected file to the virus Chest (silent mode, with general answer no).
My own feeling on this is you should use the default interactive action. This way you know exactly what is going on with your system. If you are getting so many warnings, that you want to automate this process, I believe you should review your security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, sites they visit, etc.

See the avast help file, Resident Protection: Standard Shield Provider Settings - "Advanced" Page.
Click on Standard Shield and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No.

Leave the file in the chest for a week or two (it can do no harm from there) to ensure no adverse effect from being moved to the chest. Then scan the file again in the chest to ensure it is still detected as infected and if so delete it from the chest.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NskylineGTR

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 09:53:45 PM »
These advanced automated options are only available in the Pro version.

You only have a limited option in the Home (free) version, to send the infected file to the virus Chest (silent mode, with general answer no).
My own feeling on this is you should use the default interactive action. This way you know exactly what is going on with your system. If you are getting so many warnings, that you want to automate this process, I believe you should review your security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, sites they visit, etc.

See the avast help file, Resident Protection: Standard Shield Provider Settings - "Advanced" Page.
Click on Standard Shield and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the General answer No.

Leave the file in the chest for a week or two (it can do no harm from there) to ensure no adverse effect from being moved to the chest. Then scan the file again in the chest to ensure it is still detected as infected and if so delete it from the chest.

Crap! I cant find where you activate silent mode. I see no advanced tab either. In free version, where exactly do I go to select that option?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:16:09 PM »
Here:
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security