Author Topic: Brain dead Windows XP SP2 not recognizing avast!  (Read 6658 times)

Starfighter

Brain dead Windows XP SP2 not recognizing avast!
« on: June 18, 2006, 03:52:31 AM »
After updating my computer with the 10+ latest windows XP updates that came out around last week, for some reason my Windows XP security center popped up claiming that I'm not running an anti-virus program, even though I'm running avast! (with the latest definitions etc).  The security center gave me an option for Windows not to carry on monitoring the existance of an anti-virus program.  (I clicked "don't monitor it")...   

Are any others experiencing this glitch? 

mauserme

Re: Brain dead Windows XP SP2 not recognizing avast!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 06:51:57 AM »
Hi Starfighter,

Its a common glitch in windows that comes up pretty often on the forum.  Turning the Security Center off, then on might correct it but there's no guarantee.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 04:26:44 PM »
I clicked "don't monitor it"
It's a Windows Security Center problem... but did you do not update avast in last months? Are you still using version 4.6?
Does this problem remains after booting?

Welcome back Starfighter... We miss your pencils  8)
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 06:58:13 PM »
Hi Tech,

My copy of avast! has been reliably updating itself throughout the years..  so it did update itself automatically from all the old versions to the latest 4.7.  In fact, that's the reason why I've been quiet on this discussion group for a while, because avast! hasn't caused me any problems!   ;D    It's like a reliable old friend.

The problem I'm experiencing with Windows Security Center remains after booting.  It doesn't really bother me now, as I just told Windows XP to stop bugging me about not running an anti-virus program... (stupid Windows!)  I have confirmed that my copy of avast is working perfectly well... so it's just Windows XP being dumb.  (I even tried to uninstall /reinstall avast! and my Windows XP is still not recognizing it).

Cheers,
Starfighter

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:58:04 PM »
Starfighter, just to be sure:
1. Check the date and time of your system.
2. Can you go Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and stop and start again the Windows Security Center?
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 06:37:02 PM »
Starfighter, just to be sure:
1. Check the date and time of your system.
2. Can you go Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and stop and start again the Windows Security Center?

1)  date/time was/is okay
2)  I tried your suggestion.  Unfortunately, it didn't help.

Not to worry, I can live with it.