Author Topic: icon tray  (Read 2324 times)

scottmc

icon tray
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:07:53 PM »
just noticed today that the avast icons r missing from my icon tray and when i usually turn on my pc it usually automatically updates itself within minutes of turning on can anyone help please
thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: icon tray
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:13:14 PM »
Even easier, just check the option in the Appearance tab of settings.

Download avast! External Control clicking on 'Control' in my signature.
Unzip it and run.
You'll see avast! tweaker option.
Choose to show system tray icon and let us see if it helps.

Another way to fix the problem, just add the path to ashDisp.exe into
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(as the value named avast!).

Are you by any chance using spysweeper?
If so, use the restore/recover or whatever it may be called to restore the deleted registry entry and update your definitions file for spysweeper. It reports incorrectly (false positive) the avast ashDisp.exe which is the icon you see on your system tray.
Other programs that can block are the startup monitors: PrevX, ProcessGuard, WinPatrol, TeaTimer, Ad-watch, etc.

For the 'i' icon (VRDB): http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14356.msg121337#msg121337
The best things in life are free.

cscaipe

42100 exception and tray icon solution
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »
You are a genius: I had that nasty 42100 exception in polymorph virus code during scheduled virus scan. I have Win 2000 pro. I followed your directions and it solved all my problems. You said

Another way to fix the problem, just add the path to ashDisp.exe into

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
(as the value named avast!).

I wasn't sure how-to set a value, I saw a default in the run file listed and highlighted it, right clicked and put in the word avast and the scheduled boot scan was just perfect. As for the icon in the system tray which is missing--personally, I just searched for all avast files and anyone of the files that was an application, I opened, and I don't know which one did it, but the system tray icon reappeared. I wish everyone knew about that 42100 trick of yours in regedit.exe. Gosh, it was so easy and it worked. Honestly, I cannot imagine how you thought of that solution.  MANY THANKS AND BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!