Author Topic: Bugs  (Read 11914 times)

Mike Dijkema

Bugs
« on: January 12, 2004, 09:52:20 AM »
I was just trying to find a good av program and saw that avast had good rates. Now I installed the downloadable version which is still running in pro mode. And guess what it isnt really good at all. The thing seems to block DHTML menus on web sites, it blocks scripts which are fully legit. Even some programs which have no virus suddenly dont want to run anymore (they use scripting). So this basically means that there is probably a bug in there. Norton av properly tells what a script is doing and asks if it is ok to run it. avast just blocks it no matter what setting I try. Surely this isnt the intention is it? For example try www.kieskeurig.nl, a site with safe java code on the drop down boxes (reach it via 'product vergelijk'). Result: it gives script error where there is no error whatsoever. I guess I will have to wait for an update or find another av scanner :( Too bad since avast is quite good in scanning in packed files where my old norton av failed horribly. And I refuse to buy norton av 2004, that has grown to be a monster in size and has awfully bad ratings...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Bugs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 09:56:22 AM »
Again the script problem?
Do you have avast Home or Pro?
Were you upgrading from Home to Pro or downgrading vice versa?

Was it a clean install?

thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Mike Dijkema

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 09:59:40 AM »
It was a complete clean install and it is still running 58 days in pro or so. O yes I tested it and used my home key on my other machine that seemed to work. Obviously it is the script blocker. As soon as I install the pro the pages are blocked, it seems to not occur on the home version. Using microsoft script debugger I saw it even fail on a simple onLoad (on the call itself! not on the code in the routine that is called).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 10:01:36 AM »
You used your Home key in the Pro installation?
That would trigger automatic downgrade to Home Edition... thus killing the Script Blocker - and it seems it didn't kill it properly...

Could it be the case?

Mike Dijkema

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 10:11:20 AM »
I wish so. I did a clean install it says pro with some key with lots of 999 stuff in it and 58 days. So I basically restored my whole machine using my partition backup as I always do if I install software for the first time. That way I have my last perfect working setting...
So the machine didnt have avast at all on there.

O yes home version on my other machine seems to run fine... No dhtml menus disappearing..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 10:20:55 AM by Mike Dijkema »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 10:24:58 AM »
I don't quite understand your answer. The question was: did you enter the Home license key to the Pro installation? [Y/N]

Thanks
Vlk

Mike Dijkema

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 10:28:19 AM »
On machine 1 I installed the downloaded version with no license key yet. It runs in demo mode. So it runs in pro mode for another 58 days or so. On this machine it fails scripts.
Script errors occur on this machine, no matter whether I disable script blocking or not.

On machine 2 I run a home version with a home key. There are no scripts giving errors here.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 10:34:42 AM »
Could you please export the following registry key and send the resulting .reg file to my e-mail address?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F414C260-6AC0-11CF-B6D1-00AA00BBBB58}

(I mean on the machine with the script problems, of course)

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 10:35:28 AM by Vlk »

Mike Dijkema

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 10:38:10 AM »
Will do as soon as I get home from work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 01:09:48 PM »
The thing seems to block DHTML menus on web sites, it blocks scripts which are fully legit. Even some programs which have no virus suddenly dont want to run anymore (they use scripting). So this basically means that there is probably a bug in there. Norton av properly tells what a script is doing and asks if it is ok to run it. avast just blocks it no matter what setting I try. Surely this isnt the intention is it? For example try www.kieskeurig.nl, a site with safe java code on the drop down boxes (reach it via 'product vergelijk'). Result: it gives script error where there is no error whatsoever.

Mike, I have no trouble to access that site and I have Script Blocking on... Am I doing something wrong? There are no script errors for me.

I guess I will have to wait for an update or find another av scanner :( Too bad since avast is quite good in scanning in packed files where my old norton av failed horribly. And I refuse to buy norton av 2004, that has grown to be a monster in size and has awfully bad ratings...

There are much more lovely features in avast! than the scanning packed files!
We agree about Norton!  8)
The best things in life are free.

Mike Dijkema

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 02:11:51 AM »
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}]
@="JScript Language"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\Implemented Categories]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\Implemented Categories\{F0B7A1A1-9847-11CF-8F20-00805F2CD064}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\Implemented Categories\{F0B7A1A2-9847-11CF-8F20-00805F2CD064}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\InprocServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Avast4\\AhAScr.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Both"
"Default Engine"="c:\\windows\\system32\\jscript.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\OLEScript]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f414c260-6ac0-11cf-b6d1-00aa00bbbb58}\ProgID]
@="JScript"

Similar with the vbscript engine.
So I tried it on yet another machine and saw the exact problem. What could be the reason for it?
After I uninstall avast quite some regsitry keys are left behind :( which means I have to remove those by hand. Probably the installer isnt properly creating the uninstall script properly. Apart from the LEGACY keys that are left various references to the avast dir stay in the registry.
Now on the machine I had norton av I have removed my norton av by uninstalling it, removing all the registry keys and by hand removing all norton/symantec antivirus dll's including the ones in the system32 dir (thank god I am a very advanced user).
Apparently installing avast will install a pro version. Entering the home key forces it to go to the internet (not really a wise choice since not everyone has internet). After it grabbed no updates (since it already is up to date) a reboot is needed (otherwise script blocking stays active). Apparently it doesnt reset the registry keys? It is installed under a user with administrator rights.
So would a pro version work properly for me? I have tested on 5 machines by now and get the exact behaviour on all of them. I had recommended this av to a friend, installed it on his machine and sadly saw it do even worse then on my machine. On his machine even the home version disabled the dhtml menus of web pages. Seeing this forum apparently I am not the only one that has this problem. Too bad because avast really looks like a good antivirus. I already tested some others but I didnt find them good. norton is too big and digs way too deep into the system. The new norton av 2004 is horrible, slow and cannot even scan zip files. mcafee seems to slow down the machine too much. Kapersky couldnt recognize some of the viruses I kept on purpose for testing av products. I hope an update comes soon I want to try that. I'll check with a friend who has pointed me to this av as well and see if he has the same problems. After I uninstall the av all dhtml menus appear correctly again. And the menus are safe (I know since I checked the java script code).
Smart idea to over rule the scripting engine with your own engine and to pass through the events to the Default Engine ;) So I learned something new..
Is it possible that it doesnt work due to some microsoft update?? The AhAScr.dll looks like an OLE control that overrules the jscript.dll and vbscript.dll (maybe other active script support would be nice too if it doesnt already do that). Could it be due to a security setting in the component services? I have the AvAScr component service properties at default: which are:
general tab:default authentication level
location tab: run app on computer where the data is located unchecked, run app on following computer unchecked
security tab:use default, use default, customize -> with administrator full control and read and special allow, with my own account ful control and read allow special permissions not checked
Endpoints tab:default system protocols
Identity tab:the launching user

Well so far I can give you info. I would say it looks ok but I havent programmed it so I of course can not confirm it.
Looking at all this I recall that I always installed avast under my own account which has Administrator rights. Should it be installed under the Administrator account itself??

O yes I do read tech answers since I program myself, so dont be afraid to give a tech answer.

And another simple question...
What is the exact criterium upon which avast determins that norton av is still installed? I removed all norton av junk keys and symantec keys and settings in the ini file I could find. Even the various dll's in the system32 dir. Still on one machine avast seems to tell that I have norton av installed, which I havent.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 02:14:51 AM by Mike Dijkema »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2004, 02:22:04 AM »
Visited that site myself, www.kieskeurig.nl and found no problem whatsoever. Tried it with both pro and home version, sounds to me it is not a prob in Avast but in your system(s) or the way the are set up.

Mike Dijkema

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2004, 11:56:55 AM »
Well the site will look fine but this:
http://www.kieskeurig.nl/nl/product.nsf/search?readform&code=digitalecamera

is the actual link that doesnt work. The comboboxes should respond to a mouse click, they dont. Also other sites with dhtml menus dont seem to work. Well the site works but the menu doesnt.
For example: www.startpagina.nl  only shows the top graphics but it is a big page with lots of links which arent shown.. :(

Apparently the script gets blocked. www.startpagina.nl is probably the best testpage for this problem.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 12:11:52 PM »
Tested that link, and again no problem. btw Groeten uit Hengelo ;)

John-

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 01:38:51 PM »
What browser do you use?  I have experienced some problems with dhtml menus with mozilla, netscape,... ect... before

I have tested the pro version for a while too and then switched to the home edition.  I haven't experienced any problems regarding script stuff.  So i guess a browser-thing is maybe something to consider.

I am not that technical-minded as some in here,...but maybe the problem is right before your nose.  ;)

greetz