Author Topic: ashMaiSv.exe/service caused a problem  (Read 4798 times)

Lantanid

ashMaiSv.exe/service caused a problem
« on: August 11, 2006, 01:01:52 AM »
Just installed Avast4 Home Edition and I got four messages saying Avast/ashMaiSv.exe/service caused a problem. A saved a dunp file however Avast seems to work correctly. Now every time that start my portable a can save a dump file and advise Microsoft if so I elect to do. Any idea what is casuing this problem?

Lantanid

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: ashMaiSv.exe/service caused a problem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 08:59:59 AM »
How big is the dump file?
Are there any .mdmp files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

Lantanid

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
How big is the dump file?

72 KB

Are there any .mdmp files in <avast4>\Data\Log folder?

Yes, there are.

Thanks.

Lantanid

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:44:22 PM »
OK, please send all those (recent) dump files to vlk@avast.com - possibly with a short description or a link to this thread.
Thanks.

Lantanid

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 08:39:45 PM »

Sent dumps to the e-mail address you suggested. No reply so far and errors continue to appear.

Any news?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 08:54:28 PM »
Hmm, strange. I replied to your email the same day. You're saying you didn't get my response?

Anyway, here it is once more:

Dear Alfonso,

thanks for the message.
A look at the dump indicates that the problem is caused by a library called "vlsp.dll" which is being loaded into the avast mail scanner process. Googling around suggests that vlsp.dll may be a component of your Wi-Fi card drivers. Do you have any idea where it came from?

Thanks.

Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Lantanid

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »

If you replied me privately your mail may have been erased by the spam filters of my company. Sorry.

vlsp.dll belongs to the American phone company, Verizon Wireless, a card from them is the one I use to connect to the Internet when I´m travelling there something that happnes often as I have an office in New York. Any solution?

Thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 07:35:25 PM »
By Googling around, I found out that there are probably multiple different libraries called vlsp.dll. The one that's causing problems most of the time comes from "Venturi Wireless". Does that ring a bell? Or you're positive that it came with Verizon...?

Anyway, people usually recommend to turn off some kind of "transparency" option in Venturi. Do you think you could try that?

Thanks
Vlk

Lantanid

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »

Venturi Client software cames as part of the Verizon Wireless PC Card and VZAccess Manager software.

Thanks.

Lantanid

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:01:49 AM »
Having reviewed the Venturi Client options I found that, as the software info says, "...compress and accelerate WWAN connections, working in the background between the computer and Venturi compression servers on the Verizon Wireless network to accelerate the connection..."

I can´t see a way to eliminate the software without compromissing the connection speed.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 04:44:21 PM »
I don't want to say I'm right in all my opinions, but compression that accelerates the connection is a hoax for me...

You can configure WebShield to work associated with other software.
Either you can forward the connections from WebShield to this program and configure your browser to use localhost:12080 as a proxy, or you can instruct the program to forward the connections to webshield (localhost:12080).

You can also edit avast4.ini and add the program main executable to the option OptinProcess, the connection from this program would be then scanned automatically.
You can also uncheck the "Ignore local communication" on the general tab of WebShield's configuration and add the communication port of this program into the box "Redirected HTTP ports".

Maybe reading the FAQ at http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html should also be helpfull.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 04:49:16 PM »
By the way, are you using the latest version of Venturi? If not, could you please try to update?

Thanks
Vlk

Lantanid

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »

Vlk,

Is not my intention to polemize about the uses of Venturi software and its potential advantages or disadvantages as they can easily be learned on http://www.venturiwireless.com/ by watching their Flash presentation, whether right or wrong in their arguments, for a user like myself sound convincing enough, though, and the Verizon Wireless PC phonecard has been working for me in different portables, in many US environments from hotels, offices and airports and with other anti-virus flawlessly for almost two years by now.

I´ll be trying to update to VClient3.1 for Windows and I´ll see how it goes. If I can´t resolve the problem this way, I´ll try entering a bit in the guts of Avast4.ini as you suggest and I´ll keep you posted. The problem is that I´m not in the States at this time and I don´t plan to be there again before the beginning of October, security reasons permitting, of course..., and while possibly the software updating may resolve the problem, I will not be able to find out if the card connection will still be working though. Anyway.

Thanks.