Author Topic: icon problems  (Read 3629 times)

sagitta

icon problems
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:07:24 PM »
I have used the avast home edition for long time and updated to 4,7. My operational system is windows XP professional with an automatic update. I noticed that the avast icon desappear of my system and I am not sure it is working well. I can't see the icon nor the dairy update. I looked at the configuration of the programa and they are checked up to visualize. In the interface is checked up the resident protection. I would like to know if there is some problems with the antivirus and how can I reativate the icon? Could it be because the windows update due it was done for IE 7 in the last one?
Thanks
Elenir

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: icon problems
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 10:19:30 PM »
avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut).

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.

Or Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sagitta

icon problems
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 10:30:48 PM »
Thanks for reply
I have used avast home and adware for many years and I have never had any problems. I changed nothing in my computer it is just doing the updates for windows and avast.
I checked the appearance tab and it is ok. Both topics are checked.
I made a link to ashdisp.exe in my startup folder and restart the computer. A message comes out saying that aswCmnOS.dll are missing. I don't know what I can do. Please, can you help me?
Thanks
Elenir

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:36:45 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

If repair and reinstall doesn't resolve it insert an extra step after uninstall, reboot, run the utility, reboot befor the install.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sagitta

icon problems
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:43:45 PM »
Ok I will try doing it
I tried to repair but it was not online I will do again. It is so strange because I searched in the computer and the dll is there. How the message say that it is missing!
I will try reinstall now
Thanks
Elenir

sagitta

icon problems
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:51:19 PM »
this link for uninstall utility is not working. Do you have another?
Thanks
Elenir

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 11:25:33 PM »
Very sneaky ;D they have changed the URL address slightly, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html try that, I have checked the link and it is working.

sagitta

icon problems
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 01:02:46 AM »
Hello. I followed your orientation and it is working well.
I uninstall the program, download a new from the website and reinstall it
Thanks so much.
Elenir :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 01:09:01 AM »
Sagitta, you're welcome to avast forums.
Feel free to come back any time you need help  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 01:23:28 AM »
Hello. I followed your orientation and it is working well.
I uninstall the program, download a new from the website and reinstall it
Thanks so much.
Elenir :)

Glad I could help, welcome to the forums.
Stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.