Author Topic: Portuguese (European) Translation  (Read 3910 times)

ddd2pt

Portuguese (European) Translation
« on: January 04, 2007, 12:13:10 AM »
I started the translation to Portuguese (European) of the Avast! 4 Antivirus. I only wanted to know the texts to translate, because it has texts in website and I only have the texts in folder ENGLISH.
Already I participated in diverse softwares translations (for example, Windows Vista).

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: Portuguese (European) Translation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 12:19:48 AM »
Hello :)

There was a user, which wanted to do the same, some time ago - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25516.0
Maybe you could cooperate together with him to do the translation... ::)

But maybe igor will help you here with further information ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:21:45 AM by XMAS »
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 01:08:35 AM »
I only wanted to know the texts to translate, because it has texts in website and I only have the texts in folder ENGLISH.
You'll have to use Passolo translator version 5 (http://www.passolo.info/TranslatorSetup50.exe) to translate the GUI.
You'll receive from Igor the last HTML versions of the help files and possibly a text file with the tooltips.
If you want to use the Brazilian version as a begin, well, you can ask Igor too  8)
The best things in life are free.

ddd2pt

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »
I need help to translate the help files (HELP folder). Which is the program that I use to translate them?

Translation Status: Stopped[/i]
Help Files - 0%
Html Data Files - 100%
aswClnTg Files - 100%
aswInfTg Files - 100%
Base.dll File - 100%
Boot.dll File - 100%
enhanced.htm File - 100%
Lang.dll File - 25%
LangMai.dll File - 100%
License File - 50%
Readme File - 100%
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:19:05 PM by ddd2pt »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »
ddd2pt, I'm afraid we can't use the translated DLL files (or rather, their use is rather limited for us - it's not a good way of translation; I'd have to somehow extract the text from there and move them somewhere else, which is likely to generate errors). I've already sent the translation package to somebody, so it's being worked on.

Regarding the helps - I can send you the sources for the help files, but I think it would be better to wait until the user interface is completely finished (because of homogenity - so that the same terms/expressions are used in the program and the help files).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:37:30 PM »
Regarding the helps - I can send you the sources for the help files, but I think it would be better to wait until the user interface is completely finished (because of homogenity - so that the same terms/expressions are used in the program and the help files).
Just consider that, sometimes, having both at the same time will give you a better translation...
GUI is very limited in space, we need to use an 'adapted' translation. Help files allow more freely translation.
Having both a the same time could make a good balance. I did this way  ;)
Just my own experience.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »
Well, I'd agree with that - but provided the same translator is working on both the translations. If the program itself and the help files are translated by somebody else (simultaneously), inconsistencies are likely to occur (IMHO).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 01:29:06 PM »
Well, I'd agree with that - but provided the same translator is working on both the translations. If the program itself and the help files are translated by somebody else (simultaneously), inconsistencies are likely to occur (IMHO).
You're right. In case of having more than one translator, better is going GUI and then the help files after it.
Homogeneity is necessary. I'd suggest the help files are copied and pasted into Word and spell & grammar checked  8)

ddd2pt

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 11:16:06 PM »
Who is translating?  I could help in translation (for example, in revision or in translate).