Author Topic: Vista and Avast  (Read 4708 times)

edeems

Vista and Avast
« on: January 21, 2007, 02:34:03 AM »
 :(
My Vista and Avast are driving me around the bend. Seems like when I last updated Avast it was all ready (if not anxious) for Vista. (and it worked just fine for a while) Obviously there are some problems. When I tried to download the latest update today Avast decided it would not work unless I reinstalled so I uninstalled Avast and downloaded the current version. No, Nada. The icon sets on the tray with a defiant x thru it. Went into services and set it to auto -no good. Ran MSCONFIG and set and reset my startups. No effect. Any ideas out there. Don't bother to suggest I remove Vista- I need it for my job.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Vista and Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 09:08:07 AM »
So, is the "avast! Antivirus" service running? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services). If not, can you (manually) start it? If not, what error message are you getting?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

edub

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:25:43 PM »
i have vista too, i just got a message to download the a new version of avast when i started my comp.  now it won't load avast when i start up, said incompatible operating system.  then when i try and start it through security center it says program cannot activate resident part(standard shield provider not found).  any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 01:01:32 PM »
Said incompatible operating system.
Strange... Are you trying to install avast for PC?
Did you install any other antivirus before avast?
Did you install any 3rd party firewall or security application?
The best things in life are free.

edeems

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 05:07:01 PM »
So, is the "avast! Antivirus" service running? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services). If not, can you (manually) start it? If not, what error message are you getting?

Thanks
Vlk
Thanks Vic. Yeah I can run a scan but, obviously, I want to check mail and the web automatically, and get updates too-when I try to start (Services) I get "Error 1075: dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion..." BTW, I need Vista for my job, but this is my home machine.
Ed

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 05:43:45 PM »
I suggest to

- uninstall avast
- reboot
- download the latest version of avast from http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html (Home Edition) or http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-professional.html (Professional Edition) and install it.

That should solve the problem.

Thanks
Vlk

edub

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 10:31:03 PM »
did the uninstall then reinstalled the current version, looks to be working fine now.  thanks.

edeems

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 11:10:50 PM »
I suggest to

- uninstall avast
- reboot
- download the latest version of avast from http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html (Home Edition) or http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-professional.html (Professional Edition) and install it.

That should solve the problem.

Thanks
Vlk

Success! Everything is back to "normal" Thanks, Vic
Ed

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 08:40:51 AM »
Just to make it clearer for me, can you please confirm that it was like this:

1. you were using a previous version of Windows (e.g. XP)
2. you had avast already installed in that version of Windows
3. then you upgraded your OS to Vista (not a full reinstall, just upgrade)

Is that correct?

This upgrade path is indeed unsupported and you must reinstall avast in this case (in Vista). This is because avast in Vista uses different device drivers to get its job done.

Thanks
Vlk