Author Topic: Avast 4.7 Installation Error & Reinstallation error - missing "aswCmnOS.dll"  (Read 4054 times)

Deliriou5

Hi,

I have had a Avast Home Edition 4.7 installation error, reinstallation error and freeze of your uninstall program "aswclear.exe" and need help urgently. After recieving notification that the new avast home edition 4.7 was ready to install, I selected to update the program. Once the program was supposedly updated to 4.7, it asked me to restart so I did. When I restarted the computer I noticed an error appeared. I also noticed that avast was not running in the tray icon area, so I tried to open the program manually and recieved the same error.

I downloaded the full install file from your website and also removed avast from add/remove programs. It asked me to restart so I did. After the restart I proceded to install the program afresh from the installation file I downloaded. The installation program returned an error as soon as I opened it saying it was missing the "aswCmnOS.dll" file [jpg of this error is attached]. I clicked ok and proceded to install. The installation could not complete though and I have the log file attached for the installation. There were three lines near the bottom that were of interest, but I don't understand them:

26.04.2007 15:30:46 file: ERROR:Install file:C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe, code:0x00000020
26.04.2007 15:30:46 system: Error copying driver file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswmon.sys (0x00000003)
26.04.2007 15:30:46 system: Error copying driver file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys (0x00000003)

After this, I tried removing the directory "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software" (where I installed it). I restarted my computer and tried the installation again. The same thing happened. I tried downloading the uninstallation file from the avast site "aswclear.exe" but this program seems to freeze when I click uninstall.

I have tried everything but the 4.7 updated program must have some bugs in it. Please get back to me promptly with the solution. I have also emailed avast support as I'm posting this topic cause I want to get this crap fixed asap!!   >:(

Thanks,
Simon.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Am I right assuming you're using Spyware Doctor?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Deliriou5

Yep I'm using Spyware Doctor. I noticed that there was someone else with a similar problem that did not have spyware doctor here at this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27841.0

The only thing is the guy who had the problem said it mysteriously solved itself. Not so for me... If your solution is to uninstall Spyware Doctor, can you please describe why you think it's Spyware Doctor's problem? If your solution is something else then I'd be glad to hear it as well...

;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
If your solution is to uninstall Spyware Doctor, can you please describe why you think it's Spyware Doctor's problem? If your solution is something else then I'd be glad to hear it as well...
Me too... I've asked before about this and I want to know...

Edited... Vlk seems to have answered here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27915.msg228456#msg228456
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:57:24 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Spyware Doctor is becoming a pain in the rear rather than easing your pain. I would have hoped its OnGuard would at least prompt the user rather than take autonomous action. This however may be down to the users settings or if it did prompt not recognising what it is the user blocks it.

So it looks like you should disable the OnGuard before installing new programs ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Deliriou5

WOOHOO!!!! Yes it looks like it was Spyware Doctor's fault. Thanks Vlk and Tech the problem is solved.

For those of you having the same problem and reading this post, what you have to do is disable Spyware Doctor's Onguard just while you install the program.

Who would of thought ey?!!

Mmmm I've also been having problems with Utorrent disconnecting.... I wonder whether this is also Spyware Doctor's fault. I must email their technical support and ask them to fix their fricken bugs!!

Thanks again =D,
Simon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Glad that the problem is now sorted, you should most certainly report this to their technical support, I doubt that avast is the only software suffering these sort of symptoms after a visit from the Doctor. I think they should pay more attention to the 'first do no harm' associated to doctors ;D

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hal700

I had this same problem. Was running Spyware Blaster. Turned it off and reinstalled avast ok. Hal

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I'd be surprised if SpywareBlaster had any impact, it is a passive tool the fact it happened to work after turning it off I feel is co-incidental.

If by turning it off you mean, 'Disable All Protection' then if you take a look at the protection it is browser related and for IE, you can 'Prevent the installation of activeX-based spyware / potentially unwanted software' and 'Prevent ad /cookie tracking.'

I would like to hope that avast didn't fall into the potentially unwanted software, otherwise we would see many more cases of this as spyware blaster if well used by many forum members. I have been using spyware blaster for years and no issues at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I'd be surprised if SpywareBlaster had any impact, it is a passive tool the fact it happened to work after turning it off I feel is co-incidental.
Me too... I'm surprised too, for the same reason that David exposed before.
By the way, I have SpywareBlaster, all protection enabled, and no problems with avast or other security programs.
The best things in life are free.