Author Topic: What utilites, security programs, and other software do you guys use ?  (Read 6948 times)

Happy-Dude

I'm just wondering, what are the software used by members of Avast! fourms? I've got a sense of what others use by their topics and posts, but I guess this topic would be a place where we can see it all :) !! Lets try to keep this updated now, shall we  ;D .

Here's the list:

Security Setup-
Avast! Antivirus [Antivirus]
COMODO Firewall Pro [Firewall]
Winpatrol, Cyberhawk [HIPS]
A-Squared Free, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware [Antispyware and Antitrojan)
Panda Anti-Rootkit [Antirootkit]
HiJackThis [System Logging and Malware Inspecting]
Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer [Microsoft Windows Security Status Logging]

System Managment and Tweak
Tweak UI Powertoy, Fresh UI [Customization]
Alt-Tab Replacement Powertoy, Open Command Line Window Here Powertoy [Tweaking]
JKDefrag+JKDefragGUI [Disk Deframenting]
EasyCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, CCleaner [File and Registry Cleaning]
NTREGOPT [Registry Optimization/Defragmantation]
SIW [System Information Tool]
Process Explorer [Advanced Task Manager Tool]
7-Zip File Manager [File Archiver and Management]
Windows Desktop Search [Desktop Search]

Browsers and Browser Add-Ons
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox 2 [Browsers]
IE7Pro, McAfee SiteAdvisor [IE7 Add-Ons]
NoScript, Download Statusbar, McAfee SiteAdvisor, Dr.Web anti-virus link checker [FF2 Add-Ons]

Instant Messengers
Trillian, Pidgin [Multi-Service Instant Messenger]

Office Productivity
Adobe Reader 7.0 [PDF Format Reader]
Microsoft Word 2000/XP, Microsoft Works 2002 (though I should mention that I removed a lot of the installed programs to conserve space and since I don't really need it or use the programs in any way, like Encarta 2002, which is also online, and Trips and Tips) [Office Productivity Software]

Media Players and Managment
Windows Media Player, Winamp, DivX Player, Real Alternative, QuickTime Alternative, InterVideo WinDVD 4 [Media Players]
Nero 6 Ultra Edition [Media Managment and Burning]

Alright, and that's it :) !! And don't forget to take advantage of Windows' built-in tools (like Windows Update, System Restore, Disk Defragmenter, Disk Cleanup, etc. and etc.). I'll try to keep this list updated (with color coding to indicate changes), and all these programs I recommend to others  ;) !! Now you guys post a list of your software :) !!

P.S.-
Guys, do you think that I should add Secunia Software Inspector, XPAntiSpy, and a pop-up blocker (like Proxomitron or Ad-Blocker) to my security setup ? I do feel that I'll do this eventually, since sometimes it will become a necessity, and I would need some recommendations on the programs that I should pick, use, and install. Any recommendations, guys ? Also, you guys can recommend any other software to me and I will consider what I can do with it :) !!

Lusher

Wilders has a similar thread here. Not very useful thread IMHO, it just becomes lists and lists of security software. Sure you can guess that most of the stuff posted there isn't absolutely junk (probably), but that still leaves you between a choice of a dozen security programs in each category (firewall,antivirus,antiSpyware, etc).

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
I have to agree with Lusher.
A simple search of this forum will also supply you with hits galore.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
A Truck Load and then some  ::) ;) Too many if you ask me?
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

drhayden1

A Truck Load and then some    Too many if you ask me?
semi-trailer load with dual axle tooooooo much ??? ::)
Any recommendations, guys ? Also, you guys can recommend any other software to me and I will consider what I can do with it  !!
take some off...you have way toooo much...overkill is the word 8)
A-Squared Free, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware [Antispyware and Antitrojan)
especially here..spyware blaster-windows defender and avg will do just fine-and in my opinion and past history and others with it-a-squared free gives out too many false positives ;)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 09:49:48 AM by drhayden1 »

Hard_ROCKER

... a-squared free gives out too many false positives ;)

+1

CharleyO

avast!
Spybot-S&D
Spyware Terminator
TweakNow Regcleaner Std.
ZoneAlarm Free (version 6)
Internet Sweeper
What's Running
NeoTracePro
FreshDiagnose
FreshUI
MWSnap 3
Opera 9

There are too many others to list but the ones above are related to what I think you want to know.  :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:55:16 AM by CharleyO »

drhayden1

what i use and don't think it's overkill...just moderate and safe and secure ;)
browsers-firefox(use mostly)with wot,finjan and siteadvisor & etc.
thunderbird for my pop3 mail
mailwasher pro
and avant and safari beta
avast! home edition
kaspersky online anti-virus scanner
comodo pro firewall
openDNS
spyware doctor full version as realtime
superantispyware and ewido online
scanner as addition scanners
spywareblaster
winpartol plus
ccleaner(cleaner function only)
webroot window washer
JKdefrag
no registry cleaner....don't believe in messing with registry ??? ::)
have messed up using registry cleaners in the past :o
i think that is enough for protection....
just use common sense and watch where you surf ;)
oh! and i'd better mention the cat
garfield watching in the background ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:48:25 PM by drhayden1 »

Happy-Dude

Well, I don't truly plan to remove any programs because of redundancy, because it does become useful at times, unless the programs have some major conflicting issues. So far, no conflicts on my part.

Oh, just on the side note, I defragged my PC with JKDefrag, and as ususal, the inital defrags took a while [14 hours] (approx. six hours with command line: -a 9 -f 5 -d 2 <--- meaning defragging by sorting files by last acess with newest first, and followed by 8 hours with: -a 3 -f 5 -d 2, a "near" default defrag mode, completely redoing the sorting that was done before.)

After, it the -a 3 -f 5 -d 2, I did another of the same command and it only took 8 MINUTES !!! Wow ... Completely surprised. Anyway, the end result, I'm happy. And I need to shut off the PC soon after all night of defragging, right after updating and reading some news on stuff ... The tower is getting a bit warm.

EDIT-
By the way, guys, do you know how to get JKDefrag GUI working ? I couldn't get it working, and from what I'm guessing, its because I did not put it in the right folder to act on. Any help ?

Also, what do you guys think about me adding XP Anti-Spy to my setup ? I'm thinking I might be able to put it into good use, and any extra info on the program is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 11:13:01 PM by Happy-Dude »

drhayden1

have changed mine since that link you just posted rdmaloyjr my friend and happy-dude i think you already have too much-as we say "overkill" but as a forum friend here always tells me it's your computer ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.