Author Topic: hard disk formatting...  (Read 6460 times)

black_moon

hard disk formatting...
« on: August 28, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »
does frequent formatting of hard disk decreases its life span or even damage the disk?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: hard disk formatting...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »
The question would be why the requirement for frequent formats and what sort of figures are classed as frequent ?

If you are talking about your recent formats you mentioned in earlier posts then I don't think so. Though I would have questioned the need to format in those circumstances. A format should be a last choice option.

Modern HDDs are pretty resilient so unless you are considering weekly/monthly formats I doubt it will effect the life of the HDD. You are more likely to replace your system before you come to the end of a HDD, though there are occasional HDD failures but I doubt these are as a result of over frequent formats.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 05:44:23 PM »

I really do not understand all the reformatting of harddrives that people do. I understand that there are occasions or problems that require a reformatting but these should be rare occurances. Why are you having to reformat so often?    ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
I would rather have root canal work than reformat, I guess that's why I bought a Disk Imaging software tool.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:43:07 AM »
I would rather have root canal work than reformat, I guess that's why I bought a Disk Imaging software tool.

Really depends on the dentist. I fell asleep twice during RCT sessions with one who is particularly skillful......but I digress.

Any/all HD use shortens its life to some extent but formatting and re-installing an OS on a healthy HD should be no worse than general use. It's likely to do more damage to your social life than to the disk ::). Just powering up and down are more likely to hasten failure.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 04:33:20 AM »
I can't understand why formating a disk will shorten its life time...
Of course any usage reduces its life time as everything in life that has a life time.
Of course, I won't trust in a hard disk that I HAVE to format frequently...
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:44 AM »
Most people reformat their HD in case of a virus or trojans can be very hard to remove without successful, and this is why clone software call True Image, Norton Ghost and Drive Image to help us without hours and hours of reinstalling everything back to normal.

Sometimes silly people installed a software can harm your OS or most beta software version can do more harm if your not careful.

I reformat my HD in case I don't something wrong.

1. In case of a virus or trojans can be very hard to remove without successful.
2. If I made a mistake installing a crap software version.
3. Sometimes MS windows update patch can harm your OS.
4. In case I might delete something by mistake that belong to MS Operating System.
5. A healthy HD (I only reformat my HD every 8 to 12 months using True Image as my backup clone).

Reformatting is a normal thing to do in case something goes wrong.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:59:04 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »
Reformatting is a normal thing to do in case something goes wrong.
Actually, Reformatting should be the last alternative and should only be used if nothing
else will correct the situation. IMHO
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:09 AM »

I agree with you, Bob. In fact, I have never had to reformat a hard drive, even though a couple of them have been infected with some very nasty things in the distant past ... thanks to Norton & McAfee!  >:( 

And like David, I think I would rather have root canel work done. Reformatting a hard drive should be a "last ditch" effort to save a hard drive.

roro

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 08:45:58 AM »
I have read before that it is good to reformat your hard drive a couple of times a year to clean out all the uneeded stuff that may be slowing down your computer.  Has this advice been changed?
I have never had to reformat.  It is enough trouble to put in all my favorite programs if I upgrade my computer.  Since I only run my desktop computer for 6 months out of the year (I use my laptop when I am away for the Winter), therefore letting the harddrive rest for that time, is my desktops harddrive only half as old as the 5 years that I have had it, and can I expect it to last twice as long?

Ro Ro  8) 8)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 02:04:14 PM »
For me if you keep on top of it there isn't going to be unneeded stuff to worry about. A format is a massive undertaking. Not just reinstalling an OS but all its security updates, in itself a monumental task. Then you have all the tweaks and settings you made in the time since you previously formatted.

Then you have all the programs to install, updates to download, tweaks and settings to apply. Setting up all Internet Connections, Network, registrations, user names, passwords, the list is endless and to me a real exercise of last resort.

This is also why I have hard disk imaging software, because on dial-up I would be just finishing off the security updates, etc. etc. when it would be time to format again, thanks but no thanks.

As to will your HDD last twice as long, perhaps not, inactivity may also have an impact on longevity if not stored in a stable environment, dust, dirt, heat, cold, etc.

mbourne

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
I find our Windows 98 PC starts getting very slow and unreliable (eg. sometimes crashing immediately on startup or logon) after a couple of years. A format and reinstall sorts it out, but does take a few weeks to get everything back to normal (since I have other things to do as well!) I think that was a common problem with Win9x, and at that time I frequently heard advice to reinstall Windows frequently - perhaps the advice roro has heard dates from then? I certainly knew people who would reinstall those OSs every 6 months or so. On the other hand, my Windows 2000 laptop went for 4 years without needing a reinstall (would probably have gone much longer if the hardware hadn't died). I think versions later than Win9x have been more stable, so don't actually need such frequent reinstalls.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 07:18:42 PM »
<snip>
I think versions later than Win9x have been more stable, so don't actually need such frequent reinstalls.

With the notable exception of winME which seemed to be a total lash up and probably less stable than win98.

I never reformatted and reinstalled from when I upgraded from win95 to win98 and then to win98SE and then to win XP Pro, they were all Upgrades in situ and that is probably the worst case scenario an upgrade over an existing OS installation often left remnants. But it was possible to keep your system trim ensuring the junk was removed and resources under control.

Even when I upgraded my system, built my next system using many of the components from my old one, primarily the HDDs (or copy a mirror of my dick onto the new HD), Optical drives, RAM and graphics, so I managed to get away without a format and install for well over 6 years.

mbourne

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 09:40:14 PM »
<snip>
I think versions later than Win9x have been more stable, so don't actually need such frequent reinstalls.

With the notable exception of winME which seemed to be a total lash up and probably less stable than win98.

Indeed. I'd originally said Win2k and later have been more stable, but changed the wording and forgot about WinME (isn't that the best thing to do with WinME anyway... forget it? ;))

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 11:15:46 PM »
<snip>

Indeed. I'd originally said Win2k and later have been more stable, but changed the wording and forgot about WinME (isn't that the best thing to do with WinME anyway... forget it? ;))

Absolutely ;D

Unfortunately there are many still soldiering on with it.