Author Topic: Scan results confusion?  (Read 4992 times)

sanctuary24

Scan results confusion?
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:21:32 PM »
I have performed a quick scan and the results at the end say that some of the files are corrupt, in paticular certain installer files and I'm worried they are needed for something important, I have attached a screenshot of the results and if anyone can advise me on the situation I would be grateful thankyou

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Scan results confusion?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:35:32 PM »
It may simply be because the installer used a strange or multiple packers.

Why would you be doing an ashQuick scan of the system volume information folder ?
This is a protected storage area (system restore) anyway and basically contains copies of files deleted from the system folders.

So I doubt these installer files are needed considering you may have deleted them once.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuary24

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:59:25 PM »
No I did a quick scan of my entire C drive using the simple user interface...So in your opinion these files are unimportant, could you explain them in more detail or point me in the direction of something that describes these files and the system volume information folder?

Its good that it explains why the files can't be scanned but it worries me when faced with a long list of things, are they going to improve the information given on these files in future Avast editions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:13:21 PM »
They are important only if you require them and currently you don't know what they are for.

A google search for the files contained in these installers returns many hits some relating to limewire, if that rings any bells.
http://www.google.com/search?q=systemutilities.dll
http://www.google.com/search?q=systemutilitiesA.dll
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuary24

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »
Can you tell if they all belong to Limewire, as I update it a lot (to new versions) and it overwrites the previous version so would these files be from old versions that have been overwritten?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 11:34:35 PM »
I haven't got a clue, that is why I gave you the tools to check it out, google. I only looked for the reported corrupt files you will have to continue the hunt.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 12:07:07 PM »
You don't have to worry about it.
The error only means that avast! didn't scan the content of the (unpacked) file because it wasn't able to unpack it (but the file still was scanned from the "outside").

Why avast! wasn't able to unpack the file, that's a question... either the file is really corrupted, or it's a format/version unsupported by avast! currently. I'm afraid I can't say more without taking a look at that particular file, if you'd be able to send it somehow.

sanctuary24

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 02:41:22 PM »
It just confuses me as to why some people dont get lists like this after scans as I can't think of anything I have done to corrupt anything and it worries me too much, is there an Avast team member who could give me an explanation as to why these are marked as corrupted?

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
Igor said it already... ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »
It just confuses me as to why some people dont get lists like this after scans as I can't think of anything I have done to corrupt anything and it worries me too much, is there an Avast team member who could give me an explanation as to why these are marked as corrupted?

The simple answer is not everyone's system is the same as yours and the explanation was given by Igor about the corrupt message.

The thing to remember this isn't anything else other than the file can't be scanned it isn't saying it is suspicious or infected, just that it can't be scanned.

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 02:40:31 AM »
try this :
go to "Hard Disk (C)" ==== right clik on it ==== Property.....( look at the pics )
when done some operation will be done when you restart you pc and it'll take some time before log into the windows.
NourinE

realstar

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 10:25:12 PM »
I have the same issue. If you get an answer, would you let me know??? thanks

I have performed a quick scan and the results at the end say that some of the files are corrupt, in paticular certain installer files and I'm worried they are needed for something important, I have attached a screenshot of the results and if anyone can advise me on the situation I would be grateful thankyou

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 10:29:26 PM »
I have the same issue. If you get an answer, would you let me know??? thanks
Can you please more info?
Name and path of these archive files, for instance.
Can you upload them for analysis? Maybe send some to virus (at) avast.com with a link to this thread?
The best things in life are free.