Author Topic: Standard vs thorough scan  (Read 2926 times)

Damage Inc

Standard vs thorough scan
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »
Which one do yo prefer? What are the differences beetwen standard and thorough scan?
Is thorough a lot better than standard? I just can´t wait 3 hours to complete scan, so I usually scan in standard mode and after some time with ESET online scanner.

Im thinking about buying kaspersky, but if standard scan is enaugh...

What do you think ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Standard vs thorough scan
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »
I have only ever done a through scan with archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

Archive (zip, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned. Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Standard vs thorough scan
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:13:50 PM »
Well, on buying NOD32 or Kaspersky and testing avast Home (free) is just very different things.
About scanning sensitivity, if you scan your downloaded files, running just the standard deepness will be enough. If you download that many files and don't test them just after downloading, it will be safer the thorough scanning.
The best things in life are free.