Author Topic: Exchange analyzer  (Read 5923 times)

Adf

Exchange analyzer
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:50:43 PM »
I've run MS Exchange analyzer Tool and it brings up two virus scanning issues I am unsure about:

1/ It warns me that 'background' scanning is enabled and this could degrade performance.
It advises I should alter the backgroundscanning key to 0 under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/f8faaa6d-7213-4271-9ba3-a2c4274f091d.aspx

2/ It warns of a 'low thread count' but that may be because it has counted virtual and physical processors.
This is the scanningthreads key in same place as above, which should be calculated from a formula based on numberofprocessors.

However it also says:
If Hyper-Threading is enabled, the value for NumberOfProcessors will be double the number of physical processors. It is recommended that you check with your antivirus software manufacturer to determine if physical or logical processors should be used in the above formula.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/73f39ae7-500b-48f4-9c50-1ea62a3440ef.aspx

Anyone know if I should I do something about these, I've not seen mentioned anywhere else in Avast info?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Exchange analyzer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:34:14 PM »
As about the background scanning, well it's really up to you if you want to leave it enabled or disable it. In any case, don't change the registry keys manually; instead, use the avast "Exchange 2000/2003" provider GUI to change this (I think it's the first checkbox in the provider's configuration).

Background scanning basically means that after each and every virus database update, the whole Exchange store will be re-scanned using the new definitions (on the background). Of course, this IS a performance hit, but will keep the store fit.

If you uncheck the option, objects will only be scanned on-access. I.e.

As about the thread count, I'd recommend leaving it as it is (i.e. use the default value).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Adf

Re: Exchange analyzer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:37:30 AM »
Many thanks, reply much appreciated.