Author Topic: Shared folders not accessible  (Read 31471 times)

Offline fig

• Personal Message (Offline)
Shared folders not accessible
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:15:35 AM »
I installed the Avast WHS beta a couple of days ago but have had issues with shared folders and remote file access.  WHS is running on an older pc (Athlon 1.2, 512MB memory).  Once Avast is installed, I could usually access shared folders shortly after a restart from the server and client pcs.  After 10 minutes or so, any further attempts to connect - either from clients or directly on the server - timeout, usually with an error that the network isn't available or that I don't have permission to access the network.  When connecting to shared folders, there wasn't any significant disk or cpu activity on the server.

When I tried to access files via the WHS website, I was able to navigate to the list of shared folders, but selecting a folder timed out.

At the moment, I'm still running WHS RC1, the client pc's are running a mix of XP Home & Pro and all have Avast Home (4.7.1063) installed.  I previously had a trial of the Avast Server Edition installed (uninstalled it before installing the WHS beta) which didn't have the same problems.

I've currently uninstalled Avast from WHS and everything is working fine - I tried re-installing it but the shared folders stopped working again.

Any ideas on what the problem is? 

Davin.

Offline trebmal

Re: Shared folders not accessible
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:22:58 AM »
Am experiencing same problem. After some time all shares on WHS are no longer available. Shared printer is also not available (opening forever). This is exhibited by workstation windows explorer going out to lunch whilst trying to access shares (alternating torch forever). Able to rdp and console WHS during this. Reboot WHS clears problem for the moment such that shares are now available again and printer has returned. However in console workstation avast status is now unknown (much like other thread). Restarting avast antivirus service in workstation and refreshing console gets this back. WHS is OEM and has been running without problem for more than 3 weeks. Shares problem arrived with avast WHS. Offending workstation is XP pro and two other workstations are affected (cant access shares (folders and printers)). Workstations are XP pro and Home (one each) running CA antivirus. I will leave Avast on home server for a few hours to see if the shares disappear again. If they do I will need to uninstall avast until you can provide something to test or try as my family, having lived with home server for many months (CTP, RC1, OEM) will not tolerate not having the facility available 24/7.

Offline billryan_nz

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 05:39:58 AM »
Vlk et al, sorry to say, I'm now having the same issues - on all network computers. Can confirm description and remedial action taken by trebmal - replicated actions and same results, EXCEPT that after reboot, my networked computers are still active (no need to restart service). I'll watch it and keep working for the next few hours but, in hindsight, I started hitting the first signs of network problems earlier this afternoon, about 4-5 hours after we did that work with wftest this morning (initially, I thought the gradually worsening problem was something else).

Will post back later as required. Hope you can come up with something.

20 mins later: Vlk et al, the problems I started having earlier this afternoon began when I was doing some tagging on the media library held on WHS.  started doing more of this work a few minutes ago and the same problems re-emerged immediatly. A few minutes prior I'd been working on a shared document in another shared folder and that seemed fine. So at this stage, I'd say it's associated with media sharing (for your info: my primary media software is J River Media Centre but I've just closed and cranked up WMP to find the same issues). As things stand right now, my system is in the same state described earlier by trebmal and confirmed by me. I'll keep messing for a little longer (although I'm not sure what to mess with, to be honest) but I'm very close to having to uninstall Avast WHS from the server (perhaps I'll reinstall the Server Edition trial - I still have a week, I think, on my trial version) - I've lost complete functionality with shared folders so I can't do much else if I'm to keep working - which means, of course, I won't be much help to you... sorry...

10 mins later... no, hang on. When the system goes into this state, according to connector on the client, things are still fine - full communication and no reports of anything 'unhealthy' (I know that nothing's being 'damaged' on WHS - it's a communication issue). However, as described, can't open 'shared folders' on the client via usual means - in fact, SERVER (shared folders) doesn't even show in Explorer (times out, 'no privileges'). But the interesting bit is, if I then go to the server and log on (I'm running it with a monitor and will for several months yet), I can't even access the Shared Folders from the server desktop - no response and then it freezes. Even Task Manager won't make it end process, return to nornal. Only way to get server going again is to reset/reboot. Some kind of incompatibility between Avast for WHS and shared folders occurring on the server itself - perhaps triggered by particular actions on the client? And, of course, since the server has been rebooted, I now have full access again on the client.

I'll keep grinding away on the client and try using items in the shared folders that ARE NOT media and see if it generates the same effect. (BTW: printer and file sharing functioning fine).

Bill
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:48:43 AM by billryan_nz »

Offline Vlk

• Global Moderator
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 08:10:43 AM »
Can you guys please check the Event Viewer on the WHS (especially System category) for suspicious entries (generally red or yellow entries)?
Do you see anything relevant there?

BTW by "tagging" you mean setting the star rating via Explorer? Or what exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline billryan_nz

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »
Vlk, sorry, been out but back at the desk for a while now. Shows what a non-geek (a.k.a. idiot) I am; didn't even think to check the event log...

Errors under 'Application' and 'System', none under 'Security'. I've attached extracts dated since last night when I updated. Have included the successful events as well so you can see the errors in context (the PDAgent references are to PerfectDisk defrag). You'll notice the troublesome animal seems to be the Windows Search Service - which would square in one sense, since I had troubles when I was updating the media library on the clients.

Hope this helps.

My reference to 'tagging', related to completing the ID3v2 tags in mp3 files (composer, albums, bands, comments, etc) - a very large classical and jazz collection that I like to keep 'tidy' (I use Tag 'N Rename). But now that I think of it, was while J River Media Centre was updating the library that the troubles really started (which I can repeat - same result with WMP) - hence, I suspect, the Windows Search Service?

Bill
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:28:56 AM by billryan_nz »

Offline Vlk

• Global Moderator
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:38:23 AM »
Can you please have a look at the events coming from MrxSmb (in the System category)?
What are these? (e.g. a screenshot would be helpful).

BTW I'll have to go out with my son right now, will be back in a couple of hours... ;)

Cheers
Vlk

Offline trebmal

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »
I too am from New Zealand so have been out for a meal. I can confirm much of Bills comments BUT I have not Windows Search Service running for some weeks (I hate it). I rebooted (as promised) at around 14:30 this afternoon and returned home at around 22:00 to find all sharing down on the Home server. The attached application event log shows at 15:36
Error   13/10/2007   3:36:19 p.m.   Application Hang   (101)   1002   N/A   LAMBERT1

The details of the event are:

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Application Hang
Event Category:   (101)
Event ID:   1002
Date:      13/10/2007
Time:      3:36:19 p.m.
User:      N/A
Computer:   LAMBERT1
Description:
Hanging application aswEnhcd.exe, version 4.7.1051.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67   ion Hang
0010: 20 20 61 73 77 45 6e 68     aswEnh
0018: 63 64 2e 65 78 65 20 34   cd.exe 4
0020: 2e 37 2e 31 30 35 31 2e   .7.1051.
0028: 30 20 69 6e 20 68 75 6e   0 in hun
0030: 67 61 70 70 20 30 2e 30   gapp 0.0
0038: 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20   .0.0 at
0040: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30   offset 0
0048: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30      0000000

I can also confirm that during the problem WMP can access its database (local to the workstation) but cannot browse the source folders when they are shares on the WHS. As well WMP goes to lunch "opening media" when the media is in said shares.

Offline BullDawg

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 10:23:02 AM »
I too am from New Zealand so have been out for a meal. I can confirm much of Bills comments BUT I have not Windows Search Service running for some weeks (I hate it). I rebooted (as promised) at around 14:30 this afternoon and returned home at around 22:00 to find all sharing down on the Home server. The attached application event log shows at 15:36
Error   13/10/2007   3:36:19 p.m.   Application Hang   (101)   1002   N/A   LAMBERT1

The details of the event are:

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Application Hang
Event Category:   (101)
Event ID:   1002
Time:      3:36:19 p.m.
Computer:   LAMBERT1
Description:
Hanging application aswEnhcd.exe, version 4.7.1051.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67   ion Hang
0010: 20 20 61 73 77 45 6e 68     aswEnh
0018: 63 64 2e 65 78 65 20 34   cd.exe 4
0020: 2e 37 2e 31 30 35 31 2e   .7.1051.
0028: 30 20 69 6e 20 68 75 6e   0 in hun
0030: 67 61 70 70 20 30 2e 30   gapp 0.0
0038: 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20   .0.0 at
0040: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30   offset 0
0048: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30      0000000

I can also confirm that during the problem WMP can access its database (local to the workstation) but cannot browse the source folders when they are shares on the WHS. As well WMP goes to lunch "opening media" when the media is in said shares.

BullDawg

Offline BullDawg

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 10:24:45 AM »
I too can confirm the same behavior. 

BullDawg
BullDawg

Offline billryan_nz

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 10:26:34 AM »
My event log a little different to trebmal's (greetings from Wellington!). Text is:

Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   MRxSmb
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   3019
Time:      9:56:08 p.m.
Computer:   SERVER
Description:
The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00   ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 cb 0b 00 80   ....Ë..?
0010: 00 00 00 00 84 01 00 c0   ....?..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........

Screenshot attached.

Tell you what's even more odd though: I too hate the search function and the service is disabled on all my machines - didn't register with me on the previous post. So how come...?

Edit, later: suddenly realised (idiot!) I'd not disabled search service on WHS. Did so, reproduced the same problem by getting WMP to 'monitor folders' (only takes about 3-4 mins to induce the error!), rebooted, checked the event log - to read the predictable DCOM error ('can't find search..'). Reset search to manual, reproduced the same problem, rebooted, checked the event log - same RMxSmb error as before with same text.

Beyond my expertise to interpret all this - over to you Vlk.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 11:29:06 AM by billryan_nz »

Offline trebmal

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 10:33:17 AM »
I too have those MRxSmb entries but I have had them since day one of WHS. They seem to be transient and he recovers from the occurrences. I have now UNINSTALLED avast on the WHS and wait to see if I run error free for the next few hours. It is almost midnight here so i am out of here.
Bill I am ex Wellington now Hamilton

« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:39:50 AM by trebmal »

Offline Vlk

• Global Moderator
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 06:54:15 PM »
OK, so to recap:

1. all of you guys have actually been running avast! Server Edition on your WHS - and without any issues? (I'm asking because technically, there isn't many differences between the WHS and Server Edition - so the differences may be an important clue).

2. when the problem starts happening, the only way around is to reboot the server?

If 2. is actually the case, I think it would be really useful if you could generate a memory dump of the server at the moment the problem is simulated. For a description on how to do this, please see here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71 . You will need a keyboard (ideally a PS/2, not USB one) attached directly to the WHS box to do this.

Oddly enough, I still haven't been able to simulate the problem - not even once (I'm running the RTM version of WHS here).

Thanks a lot for all your help so far,
Vlk

Offline trebmal

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »
Vlk,

1: The install of WHS was fresh and complete on 25/9/2007 and is OEM. All released patches have been applied. No other antivirus has been loaded on the WHS until loading Avast 4 WHS 3 days ago. The first install immediately generated the share problems. I uninstalled and reinstalled and had a going system which then acquired the shares problem. I have now unistalled avast 4 whs and have been running clean for 9 hours.

2: it seems only a reboot will do.

3: Have been running headless all this time so would need to do some set up to get a dump. I will reinstall avast4whs tonight (12 hours away) if share problem returns will take a dump tomorrow night (36 hours away) (work gets in the way of fun every time)

Offline billryan_nz

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 08:06:44 PM »
Hi Vlk, just need to do a couple of things, so give me an hour or two on the memory dump. In the meantime:

1. Yes, and with no issues at all.

2. No other way it seems possible to get shared folders back? - correct. Both the client and the server continue to run, albeit very sluggishly (I'll pay more attention to this next time).

3. Will do what I can with the memory dump. Get back to you soon.

I can induce it no problem by getting WMP to update my mp3 library in the shared folders in WHS - you could try this. But if you do, you may need to load >10 albums (or equivalents) into WHS; I find I can get the update going and it can 'count' up to about 50 files before it freezes (i.e. it's not instantaneous; works for a while then stops, then if I wait about 1-2 mins and try to explore the Music folder in Shared Folders, it will no longer read, and by then, everything has frozen...).

If you're on the RTM version (+ updates) then you should be the same as me...

Bill

Offline trebmal

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 08:51:39 PM »
Vlk and Bill,

Having read Bills post I just remembered. With avast4whs running access via the console from the workstation is sluggish. The time from typing in the password until getting the roving green eye is about 5 times longer and during that time the mouse is not viewable in the console window.
I agree it may be associated with the number of files in the shares. Vlk is it possible to configure avast4whs such that shares are protected but one can exclude selected sub folders. I belkieve at the moment one can only exclude all shares. If this was possible then i think mine would perform better if music and photos were excluded. Not a fix but would indicate what is going on perhaps.

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now