Author Topic: Sympatico Email Problem with new upgraded email using SSL  (Read 13109 times)

MiniFixer

Sympatico Email Problem with new upgraded email using SSL
« on: January 15, 2008, 06:33:45 AM »
Sympatico (Canada) have been upgrading their users email to use SSL in their connections.  I ran into a problem after upgrading where I could not send emails using Outlook Express 6.  The error message was as follows:

The server does not support a SSL connection. Account: 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', Server: 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 OK', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

I spend a bit of time with Bell Sympatico support determining the problem.  After they confirmed I had all the settings correct, they asked me to turn off AVAST.  When I did, the error message stopped and the email could be sent.

Rather than leave Avast turned off or removing it, I went into the settings for On-Access Protection Control and selected Internet Mail.  Using the Customize button, I selected SMTP and unchecked Scan Outbound Mail.  Once I did that I found I could send emails without having to turn off Avast completely.

Is there any other setting I could have done so I could use Outlook Express with Avast to scan outbound emails?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Sympatico Email Problem with new upgraded email using SSL
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:49:21 AM »
The fault here is more with Sympatico than avast and it has been discussed many times in this forum if you care to search.

There are incredibly few ISPs on the planet that are stupid enough to implement SSL security using port 25 for SMTP as Sympatico has done - I can think of only a couple of others that are doing the same thing ... one is in Portugal.  It is a de facto standard of email worldwide that port 25 is used for unsecured email connections.  The de facto email standard for sending SMTP with SSL is port 465.

avast, quite reasonably, assumes that it can scan port 25 connections because the standard is that port 25 connections are unsecured.  If there is a requirement from the email server (as there is with Sympatico) that port 25 be secured then avast will, unfortunately, get in the way and prevent the connection.  If you happen to be a Sympatico user you have no choice but to turn off outbound scanning.       

MiniFixer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »
I did search the forum and googled the internet but couldn't find anything specific (must have not used the right terms).  However your explanation makes sense.  Thank you very much.

lmcradu

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:24:16 AM »
Sympatico (Canada) have been upgrading their users email to use SSL in their connections.  I ran into a problem after upgrading where I could not send emails using Outlook Express 6.  The error message was as follows:

The server does not support a SSL connection. Account: 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', Server: 'smtphm.sympatico.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 OK', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

I spend a bit of time with Bell Sympatico support determining the problem.  After they confirmed I had all the settings correct, they asked me to turn off AVAST.  When I did, the error message stopped and the email could be sent.

Rather than leave Avast turned off or removing it, I went into the settings for On-Access Protection Control and selected Internet Mail.  Using the Customize button, I selected SMTP and unchecked Scan Outbound Mail.  Once I did that I found I could send emails without having to turn off Avast completely.

Is there any other setting I could have done so I could use Outlook Express with Avast to scan outbound emails?

There is another similar option that can be useful if you have multiple accounts configured in Outlook Express or Widows Live Mail and want to prevent Avast from scaning the outgoing emails from Sympatico only. Under the "Redirect" tab, specify "smtphm.sympatico.ca:25" as the Ignored address.

sihlangu

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »
Where and how to find the REDIRECT tab to write in what you suggest???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 12:25:37 AM »
Internet Mail, Customize, Redirect tab, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sihlangu

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 12:33:22 AM »
I have the free version and it does not appear to have the window you have shown! Thanks for promptly replying.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:29:48 AM »
Left Click on the avast ' a ' icon, the avast! on-access scanner window will pop-up, click on the Details... button it will expand to show all the avast providers, click the Internet Mail one and follow the instruction/image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 03:40:17 AM »
I have the free version and it does not appear to have the window you have shown! Thanks for promptly replying.
Sure it's there... it's present in Home and Pro versions.
The best things in life are free.