Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Avast not working with turbo lister?

<< < (2/3) > >>

DavidR:
.jpg files can be exploited so are scanned by avast, but avast would only be scanning newly created ones or ones that were being accessed.

The question is why are these thousands of files there, and what is creating/modifying or accessing them to cause avast to scan them, it is as a result of turbo lister ?

AS you said turbo lister has its own temp folder so why is it using another temp location ?

If you accept the element of risk, you could put k*.jpg in the exclusions of the standard shied, customize, advanced, add, the * is a wildcard for multiple characters. However, the k*.jpg is a bit broad as you really only want those jpgs being created or used by turbo lister to be excluded and not jpgs beginning with k anywhere on your system.
e.g. <path to turbo lister>\k*.jpg where the path is the full path to the turbo lister folder used for these jpgs followed by the \k*.jpg.

What do you have the standard shied sensitivity set to (Normal is the default) ?

sunny16:
I have the Standard Shield set to Normal.  I have tried adding k*.jpg and ~k*.jpg to the exclusion list but avast still scans the k* files in the affending temp folder.  The full path for that temp folder is:

c:\docume~1\work\lLocals~1\Temp\~k*.jpg

I've also tried adding the above path to the exclusion list, but avast is still scanning that path.

I've also tried searching for the files that are being scanned in the hope that if I could open one and see what they are, it might give some idea as to why they are being scanned.

Searching, even with 'search hidden files also' dose not work, I can't find the files on my computer.

Does that suggest that these files are being created temporarily for the purpose of the action Turbo Lister is trying to perform?

Are these files, files that Turbo Lister is accessing in the database?  I don't know?

I'm not sure how it uses the database.  I insert any jpg needed for an entry into Turbo Lister when the entry is created, so I don't see why it needs to access 1000's more jpg files.

I don't know which folder Turbo Lister is using for jpgs so I can't try adding that path in the exclusion list.

I've also experimented with creating/viewing and uploading an entry.  Providing I pause and restart Standard Shield when I now, know it is going to scan those temp files i can get it to complete an entry... but it is far from ideal.  I stand a good chance for ending up online with no protection.  Any thoughts as to how I could find and view any of the files Avast is scanning would help.  It might all make more sense to me if I knew what those jpgs are.

DavidR:
Why are you using the tilda ~ in front of the k*.jpg if that isn't part of the file name then the mask will fail. There also appears to be a character l which could also fail lLocals~1 (9 characters) as I think it should be LocalS~1 which is the 8 character abbreviation for LocalService

Try c:\*\work\Locals~1\Temp\k*.jpg
Or the full path C:\Documents and Settings\work\LocalService\Temp\k*.jpg

Were you adding the path to the correct on-access exclusions as the k*.jpg should have worked. There are two exclusions lists:
On-access Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
On-demand Program Settings, Exclusions.

sunny16:
I am using the tilda ~ in front of the K.jpg because that is what Avast is showing in detailed view as the path.  Good spot on the rogue 'l' in the path, my typo error... sorry.  The full path as viewed in Avast's detailed window is:  C:\DOCUME~1\Work\LOCALS~1\Temp\~K*****.jpg

The ***** always appear to be 5 charactor starting with 20 the next three characters may be numbers or sometimes letters.  The last file to be scanned before Turbo Lister completes a preview task is: C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\85145YS.FON

Was I adding the path to the correct exclusion list... in a word, NO!

I didn't realise they were different.  I'll try the other one.

I'll also try the other paths that you've suggested... and report back.

sunny16:
Update:

I have tried adding the above suggested paths to the exclusion list in Standard Shield.  The only one that makes any difference is: C:\DOCUME~1\Work\LOCALS~1\Temp\~K*.jpg .  Using this path, it stops Avast scanning the 1000's of k*.jpg files.  Good news!

Now when I Preview an entry in Turbo Lister it appears to work fine without delay as it normally does.

BAD NEWS

Although it now appears to work ok... any entry that I open AND edit is then removed from the database when it is saved... Lost!!

What ever the 1000's of k*.jpg are they appear to be needed.  It appears that if they are not scanned by AV, Turbo Lister is not able\ or is choosing not to use or update them.  (If that makes sense)

I noticed in the past that when Turbo Lister backed up the database it would pause and wait for Norton (previous AV) to perform a scan as part of the backup process.  I've not noticed this action when I have backed up the database while using Avast as AV? 

Could that be part of the problem?

Hopefully I can restore the database and replace the deleted entries, so all is not lost.  Sadly I will need to remove the exclusion path... so that I don't loose any more entries.

Back to square one!

Does any of the above spur any other thoughts as to what else I could try?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version