Author Topic: Trun off alert message until scan is done?  (Read 4044 times)

fastenuf

Trun off alert message until scan is done?
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »
I just installed Avast so all of this is new to me. Seems to be great so far. I tried a thorough scan for the first time and it took forever. It found 3 ad ware files. Everytime it finds something it has a pop up message asking what to do with the file. The scan stops until you tell it what to do with the file. Is there anyway to work around this? Say put all the files it finds in the chest then notify you after the scan like all the other antivirus programs work?   I have looked in the settings and could not find an option for this.

THanks in advance for any help. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Trun off alert message until scan is done?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »
These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

Once you have done the first thorough scan to fully check your system, personally I wouldn't use it again unless I suspected something wasn't right.

Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned. Thorough is also by its design very thorough and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate.

I have only ever done a through scan with archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fastenuf

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I will give it all a try. It has only picked up a few ad ware so far. I just wanted to do a thorough scan for the first time since it was installed.

Thanks for the great help!

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:05:45 PM »
 :)  Hi :

"Adware" is best detected and dealt with by antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN
     program(s); do you have any of these types of program(s) on your
    computer ? If NOT, you are seriously UNDERprotected IF you ONLY have
    Avast as your "security" program .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I will give it all a try. It has only picked up a few ad ware so far. I just wanted to do a thorough scan for the first time since it was installed.

Thanks for the great help!

No problem, welcome to the forums.

Anti-spyware options, if you haven't got one, SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareTerminator or AVG-AntiSpyware.

If using winXP or Vista SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version. Or AVG anti-spyware (formerly Ewido) Resident scanner during trial On-Demand after trial ends. Or Spyware Terminator Resident scanner. Or a-Squared free On-Demand only with free version(if using win98/ME).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fastenuf

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:04:34 PM »
I did have CA version of antispyware but deleted it along with the Antivirus from CA when I switched to Avast. THe CA bogged down the computer real bad and didnt have IM scanning. I do have Spybot search and destroy installed also. Is it any good? Doesnt seem to find much. 

Thanks again for all the help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:04:42 PM »
Spybot is one of the old school of anti-spyware, which I don't believe is as good as the ones mentioned.

SAS is an on-demand scanner so isn't running in the background taking up resources and as you said 'bogging down your computer.' ST is a resident anti-spyware and isn't so bad on resources. Since avast has the Instant Messaging provider that should be covered.

fastenuf

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
I am going to give the SAS a try and get rid of the Spybot.

Thanks again for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 12:19:12 AM »
Your welcome.